Protein skimmer needed with tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Parrisgg

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have been keeping a 40 breeder lately, and I really am interested into the salt water side of things. I am hoping to eventually do a reef tank down the road when I can get the money, but I need to understand a bit more. I understand the concept of a sump, but with a sump, I will install a protein skimmer on the sump itself? Is a refugium built into this system? What is the difference between a wet/dry system? Secondly, I have seen sumps where there is sand in one of the slots, is this required? Finally, do you guys recommend an acrylic or glass tank? Thank you.

Protein skimmers aren't needed. Neither is the sand or fuge, but everything helps if maintained properly. Glass or acrylic... Your choice. Acrylic is clearer but scratched easily. Glass is very difficult to scratch.

Dreamsound1 said:
I prefer a skimmer and glass tanks

Same here. Live rock can be hard on glass and brutal on acrylic. If it's going to be your first saltwater tank I'd go with glass just as insurance for mishaps. I always prefer a sump with a refugium and a skimmer. They aren't necessary but most people are very satisfied with that type of system.

Back
Top Bottom