protein skimmer problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jester

Aquarium Advice Freak
ok guys I got a problem when the guys installed my tank they did not plug the protein skimmer in they said to leave it off until the tank is cycled well it is done so i plugged it in 2 days ago and it is foaming but nothing is goning into the collection cup so now i dont know what to do please help me thanks Jason

What kind of skimmer is it? Are there lots of bubbles in the reaction chamber? Sounds like you need to adjust the venturi to allow more air, or need more waterflow.

the skimmer is built into the sump and how would i adjust it I have no clue there is a lot of bubbles to me but i dont know how much there should be thanks for the reply

Your tank is still very new, there most likely isn't anything to collect in the cup. MY skimmer just recently began collect a good ammount of goop in the cup and my tank has been running for 4 months. You will start to see the foam rise when your tank has more junk to clean out. My skimmer foams upt to the top and over a little bit but I never have foam collecting in the bottem of the cup, its just nasty water. I thought mine wasn't working properly when i first began running it also...now its working like a champ.

Skimmers usually require a "break in" period. Even when there are DOC's present in the water, a new skimmer may not start pulling anything for a few days. I would tend to think that your tank, as two11devan mentioned, doesn't have much to skim at this point though.

Back
Top Bottom