Protein Skimmer Recommendation for a 185 US Gal Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nim75sg

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Choosing a Protein Skimmer that is right for my first 5'x2'x2.5' tank with a 4'x1.5'x1.5' sump is very confusing and difficult which I have to depend on knowledgeable retailers and hobbyists.

I have cater 1.5'x1.5' of sump space to accommdate the skimmer & pump as well as other pumps for chiller, reactor, etc.

Presently reviewing the AquaC EV-240 and the Barr Aquatic Skimmer SK1000 (http://barraquatic.com/) and hope to hear from fellow members of their experiences on this two skimmers:

1) What do you like or dislikes the skimmer
2) Is the skimmer efficient enough or too efficient
2) How much maintenance is required

If these two skimmers are not suitable for my system, can someone recommends a particular skimmer or type of skimmer.

Much appreciated.

First off, I have no experience with the SK1000. However I do have an EV-120 on my 120 and I love it.
1) What do you like or dislikes the skimmer
Very adjustable, can adjust airflow so that you get the foam consistancy you like best. If I had to pick a dislike its the collection cup. The cup has a hose attachment on it so that you can drain excess to prevent an overflow. It has advantages and disadvantages. The two things I don't like about it are 1.) its too low. You pretty much have to have something for it to drain to or else you'll have a mess. 2.) The hose is pressurized so it blows the stink of your skimmate into the air. Its only noticable if you don't clean often. Both of these draw back however are far outweighed by the performance of the skimmer.
2) Is the skimmer efficient enough or too efficient
Because you can control the air/water level with the EV serier, you can set it for either. If you think your pulling out too much, restrict the air flow and it will calm down to your liking. When wide open "too efficient" is an understatement.
2) How much maintenance is required
I clean/empty the collection cup up to 4 or 5 times a week depending on load and clean the foam tower with a paper towel about twice a month. Hardly any maintenance.
If these two skimmers are not suitable for my system, can someone recommends a particular skimmer or type of skimmer.
I don't guarantee anything but I would be in pure disbelief if you didn't love the EV series. Its a solid buy for the money considering its insump or external mountable and is the most adjustable skimmer I have seen yet. Make sure you follow the AquaC recommendation for a pump, and ensure that you remove any pre-filters from the pump if it is equiped with one.

Best of luck, hope I gave you the info you were looking for.

Brisc0: A million thanks to you for all the valuable comments and must admit that my preferences for AquaC are on target!

Although I haven't used one of the EV series, I have sold quite a few of them. Everyone who has bought one has been very happy with it. Although there are several skimmers on the market that would meet your needs, I don't think you can go wrong with the EV 240. Check this link for a FAMA review of the 240.
http://www.proteinskimmer.com/FAMAEV240.htm

loganj: Thank you for the very assuring info regarding your past sales of EV240.

Back
Top Bottom