Pseudochromis Domination... tankmates?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Paul

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey.. Got a Dottyback here that has established himself as the SOUL owner of my 45gal FOWLER tank. But one small fish in a tank that size is boring! My wife and I are very much attatched to him though as he has a very cool and entertaining personality. We would like to add AT LEAST 2 SUITABLE tankmates who could keep his territorial aggression in check. I was thinking maybe a small/med snowflake morray? and a small/med picasso trigger? any suggestions?

Hi Paul,

Both suggestions would get too large for that tank size and I see the picasso mistaking the dottyback for food at one stage or another.

The Snowflake moray needs IMO a minimum of 60-75gal as they grow to about 2 feet long.

Could i suggest a pair of clowns and some inverts?

anything else?

Although I can see your point on my tank being perhaps a little small for these 2... You can't be serious about a pair of Clowns? I am absolutely possitive they would be harassed constantly and their fins would be torn to shreds in no time... Not interested in inverts, though thank you for the suggestion... want to keep it fish only... any other suggestions? Anything with a bit more firepower than Clowns?

Well Clowns are in the Damsel family and Damsels are know for the aggresive nature. I'm sure if you got a nice pair of Clowns a bit bigger than your Dotty, they would keep the Dotty in check!

I have a 12gal Nanocube and keep a Strawberry Psuedo and a Perc. Clown that is a little larger than the Strawberry in there and the Strawberry don't even dare mess with the Clown!

What kind of Dottyback do you have? They range from 4” all the way to 8”
http://www.wetwebmedia.com/pseudoch.htm
The site above recommends keeping them with Triggers, large Angels, & Tangs

And clowns can be pretty feisty when they want to be, I wouldn’t rule them out if you have one of the smaller Dottybacks.

I think if the dottyback has already claimed the tank for his own chances are pretty good he won't let anyone else settle in (big or small fish). Won't take much to stress out a new addition. If it were me I'd try to net him out and put him in some sort of QT or little holding tank put the other guys in that you would like move the rock work or decor around then add him back in.

Or if you not sold on that idea possibly get a little breeder clip on type tank and put him in there and let the new additions settle in and still move the rock work around.

Good Luck

I agree with taking him out, reaquascaping and putting in something like a maroon clown. If the clown is somewhat bigger there should be no problems.

That's a mean clown.

All that being said...al fish have different personalities and it may not be a great idea to put two feisty fish in a small area.

Back
Top Bottom