Puffer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Whitegurl84

Aquarium Advice Regular
Im having the worst time with fish. First I had a crab that was killing my fish so I flushed him. Now I got a puffer and it kill two of my favorite fish last night. I know they eat small invertebrates but my fish come on. Is it normal for puffer fish to eat other fish?

Whitegurl84 said:
Im having the worst time with fish. First I had a crab that was killing my fish so I flushed him. Now I got a puffer and it kill two of my favorite fish last night. I know they eat small invertebrates but my fish come on. Is it normal for puffer fish to eat other fish? Is my other clown going to get sick now that he doesn't have his mate?

Ur other clown should be ok. They don't need a second one to be happy. What kind of puffer did u get? And what size tank are they in? I never had a problem with my puffer eating other fish and he was quite a bit larger than everyone else.

It's a 56g and he's a porcupine puffer. The clown, hippo tang and watchman gobie that he killed were quite small. I had shrimp and I figured he was going to eat them but not my fish.

How big is he? To be perfectly honest a 56g is too small for a porcupine puffer, they can get up to a foot in length and really need 150+ gallon tank. It could be the other fish were stressing him out. There are puffers that will go in a 56gal easily, something like a saddle back puffer or a Toby puffer will work.

He is only about 2 1/2-3 inches, the pet store said he would be ok in there. the fish he killed were only about the size of a quarter and kept to the selves. The clown and hippo tank usually stayed at the top right corner of the tank.

He will be ok for a little while. But u will definitely have to upgrade in the near future.
Are u sure that the puffer is killing them? Puffers are very messy eaters and can cause ammonia, nitrites and nitrates to build very quickly if you're not on top of ur PWC. What are ur water parameters?
I only ask this bc they are usually very tolerant of other fish, accept other puffers, in their tanks.

I just got him yesterday and I did a water change yesterday so they should all be low. I know it was him because they have all been in there for awhile then I added him and this morning they were dead.

What are the parameters exact values? If they are in the proper ranges, then it sounds like u got one of the few mean puffers out there.
If that's the case then my suggestion would be to buy fish that are semi-aggressive rather than peaceful and about the same size as the puffer that way they stand a fighting chance. Or why not leave it with just the puffer.

Puffers are extremely aggressive and are in the same family as triggerfish. They should only be kept with other aggressive fish.

Also, NEVER trust your fish store. They are only trying to make a sale! Did they also tell you the blue tang would fit in a 56g? Do your research!

I also went by what it said on the compatibility charts I looked at several and they all Said that the puffer would be fine with what I had. The blue tang I had was only a baby so it would be awhile before he would get to big for the tank. He was only about the size of a quarter.

Some puffers are more and less aggressive than others, with porc puffers being some of the most aggressive. Try a sharp nose puffer for a tank that small. Also, compatibility charts are very inaccurate and only see the species as a whole. It says eels aren't compatible with most fish, but my snowflake eel hasn't shown any interest in my fish and most have been able to live in a community tanks.

Back
Top Bottom