puffer fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bald57

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 38 gallon bow front and was thinking of getting a green spiked puffer. I have 2 clowns, 3 blue green chromis, a banggii cardinal and a choc. chip star fish, and a couple of hermet crabs. Would it be wise to put one of these puffers in. I may want to go and add some coral down the road and if I do, I know my cc star fish will have to be relocated. Any advice.

Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Aquariums: Spiny Box Puffer

maybe your talking about a Spiny box puffer?

If so these guys get pretty big, I've seen one at almost 12 inches, and as with a lot of puffers they are likely to nom at the coral. I tried having a few different pieces of coral in my tank and my stars and strips puffer ate them up without hesitation. They are a beautiful and personable fish, although I've had trouble with puffers of this sort, all mine have had parasites :( But they are super cool, just probably for a bit bigger of a tank, and fish only. Hope that helps!

Do you mean a green spotted puffer? I wouldn't do it. For a puffer fish that is not a dwarf puffer needs at least a 55gallon tank since they can get so much. Also, most people sell them as a freshwater fish and until they hit adult hood they are in brackish water not saltwater.

thanks for the advice. I have done some research on it. My sister in law keeps threating to buy one cause she like them and I keep telling her no they won't work in my system. Maybe if she wants to add a fish or two, I can suggest some others that would be compatable. They are so ugly, they are cute but not for my tank at this time.

Back
Top Bottom