Purple Up Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jonboyb

Aquarium Advice Activist
My LFS gave me a bottle since I bought alot of LR from them and recommended added a capful to my 28g. However, I'm using SeaChem Reef Salt and my calcium readings are already up about 420-430 at an SG=1.024 and pH=8.3. While I want to jumpstart my coraline growth ( I had some dieoff on my cured LR), I'm guessing Purple Up will also increase calcium levels. Not having any corals yet I'm not seeing any drops in calcium betweem PWC's, and I don't want to overload the system with anything.

What chemical parameters will Purple Up change once added to the system??? Thanks.

Purple Up is nothing more than calcium chloride and aragonite (calcium carbonate). The aragonite does not and will not dissolve in seawater and the CaCl2 acts as nothing more than a "shot," if you're even lucky enough to get that. Since you didn't waste your money on it, don't bother wasting your time with it either. If you can keep your numbers where they are at you shouldn't have any corraline growth problems in the long run. I assume your Alkalinity is up to par, 3meq/l give or take?

My Alk test is a little goofy to read (the Red Sea one). It gives three ranges as Alk increases and changes from yellow to blue as the ranges increase. All I can say is I am above 2.9:D

I've just been doing kH as a check and it stays pretty steady at 9.

I stopped using it because it seemed i was getting that calcium precipitation in my tank. I used half of the bottle (on cap per day) before that started happening.

I stopped using it because it seemed i was getting that calcium precipitation in my tank. I used half of the bottle (on cap per day) before that started happening.
Check your mag. Calcium would have to be very high, alot higher than dosing 1/2 a bottle alone would make it. The mag bonds with the calcium and helps prevent it from precipitating. If the ca is too high and mag too low, it can/will precipitate.
Good article here.
CHEMISTRY AND THE AQUARIUM by RANDY HOLMES-FARLEY

Check your mag. Calcium would have to be very high, alot higher than dosing 1/2 a bottle alone would make it. The mag bonds with the calcium and helps prevent it from precipitating. If the ca is too high and mag too low, it can/will precipitate.
Good article here.
CHEMISTRY AND THE AQUARIUM by RANDY HOLMES-FARLEY

Thanks Capt... I'll grab a test kit for mag. Think it's the only one I dont have.

I like the 2 part buffer method myself. I've been using Kent, and recently switched over to Brightwell Aquatics

Back
Top Bottom