Putting the pieces together

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

E-rock

Aquarium Advice Activist
Okay I finally have all of the pieces. Rodi, skimmer, 80 pounds of dry rock, sand all the plumbing is done, and I have a $75 store credit I am going to use to buy live rock at my lfs. I know the majority about the nitrogen cycle and I have had sw fish tanks before. But I am a little confused on what's the best way to start the cycle( I know there 1000s of forums on this. But the more I read the more I get confused) should I use ammonia, dry shrimp, or is the dying material enough to start the cycle. Just looking for some opinions, thanks. What's the best order to add everything

Shrimp will work, however dosing with ammonia will give you more manageable results. You can add ammo up to 4ppm and continue to test to see how fast it drops.

TLTGF said:
Shrimp will work, however dosing with ammonia will give you more manageable results. You can add ammo up to 4ppm and continue to test to see how fast it drops.

I agree. Ammonia is more controlled and you can put in however much you want instead of whatever the rotting shrimp gives out. It's also less messy.

Okay where can I get ammonia. And do I just add it in the begging or do I keep dosing it? And should I just add the dry rock and live rock in at the same time as I start dosing ammonia?

You add the ammonia to start your cycle and it's best to have all your base rock or live rock already in the tank. I would get the Ace hardware ammonia as it's pure ammonia. You can't use any ammonia with cleaner agents in it or surfecants listed in the ingredients list.

if you shake it up and it makes bubbles that dont immediately go away then you've got the wrong stuff. :)

Back
Top Bottom