PVC Glue question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishman

Aquarium Advice Addict
Im in the process of gluing some PVC together for my return...long story but I put a ball valve in live to be able to throttle back my return pump. Im using regular PVC glue..how long should this dry before turning the pump back on to the return? I have heard the glue drys within minutes. I thought I would make this repair tonight during a water change so the pump that the PVC is going to be connected to is going to be off like 30-45 minutes. Is this long enough to let the glue dry? I dont want to harm any fish or corals.

From my personal experience, I would suggest that you let it dry overnight so to allow all the nocif fumes to evaporate properly. The glue may dry in minutes, but for the usage you are making with it, read water pressure here, you should wait. HTH

My 2 cents.

8)

Theres no way I can leave it that long. The line I am having to replace is the main return line from my sump to my tank. I am going to let it dry for an hour or so and go with it. Also I found a way to eliminate the possibility of the actual glue getting in the tubing. If you put the glue on the male side of the PVC, when you push the 2 peices together it forces the glue outside the tubing rather than inside.
Im not worried about the water pressure part of it. Its not that much as its just a Mag 12.
Thanks for the info though.

Back
Top Bottom