Q tank question...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stryder

Aquarium Advice Regular
I was just wondering what all do as far as the Qtank goes. I have recently gone through quite a trama in the main tank 130g reef because of an infected fish (lost 4 to velvet/ich). All is well in there now, the ones left are fine, all the corals did perfectly. I have set up a 20g qtank to start my new fish in before they hit the big tank and was wondering if I should run a small amount of copper in it or what.

What is the consensus on qt's??

run just an air powered pump and watch the fish no need for chems if it dont need it !!! might be treating something it dont have !!!

I have a bio wheel filter thing, (eclipse system). Should I still run another pump?

How long should they stay in the qt??

The bio wheel should be fine. Just make sure you don't go and buy several fish at once overloading the Q tank. I would keep the fish in the Q tank a minimum of two weeks but would be safer with 3 possibly even 4 weeks. I would say it depends on how the fish is doing, if he looks healthy, is acting "normal" feeding good, etc..

Thanks as always !!!

oh, what about leaving a fish in the qt to keep the cycle going?? something like a chromis or something??

scuba_steve said:
no ya want to clean the bio wheel and then let it set in your sump till ya ready for it !!
Unless you have used meds. This method is only possible if using hyposalinity.
that would work !! they say 4 weeks is safe !!
(y) (y)

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom