QT fish from LFS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

roka64

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a similar question about QTing fish from my LFS. She has had a specific fish for months, eating and normal, no disease, would I still want to QT? If so, how long? I have a QT set up, so that is not a problem, was just wondering.....

I have skipped QT with fish I get to see at the lfs that are in with the corals for 2 or 3 weeks. No copper.

So... and I may be wrong, but I always feels that a fish in copper at the lfs for 2 or 3 weeks might have something that when he comes out of the copper - BAM!!!, it appears. Just my inclination. I have added wrasses and gobies to my main w/out QTing figuring they are less prone to those scary illnesses.

roka64 said:
She has had a specific fish for months, eating and normal, no disease, would I still want to QT?
Is it the only fish or has it only been with the same fish for months?
Is the tank single and not sharing with other tanks? (like a QT tank)

In almost every lfs I see they share tanks to one common wet/dry or large sump to increase their total water supply and make pwc easier.

If the lfs is sharing tanks and they don't QT all stock before adding to their main tanks then I wouldn't risk it.

I was just trying to use a general rule.
An example is, she has had a Niger, Picasso and very large Engineer Goby in the same tank for months.
She does have the fish tanks on the same system, the inverts are separate and so is the coral tank.
In this case, the fish have not been sick, have been active and I have seen them eat. Would QT be vital to "establisshed" fish, like this situation?
I can understand if she has a new batch in, which I would wait a few weeks, to observe, before purchasing anything. I am just wondering, I plan on QT'ing anyway, since I only have sand in my 125G right now...waiting on the base rock.

If she has all the fish tanks on the same system and doesn't QT new arrivals she runs the risk of infecting all of them every time she adds new fish. If she QT the new arrivals for 4-6 weeks then there is less of a risk but IMO you should QT all stock regardless unless you really know/trust your lfs to do it right.

That is my concern also in that if he was in the same tank by himself or with same fish for awhile then OK but if he just added some new fish in there recently than I would worry. And then as Micah said there is also the risk of everybody sharing the same water. Too risky under those conditions.

Got it. I will QT. I do like to be safe. Thanks for the input!

Back
Top Bottom