QT Tank Maintenance

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

snowdude

Aquarium Advice Activist
Any opinions on how to maintain a QT tank? I would like to prevent having to fill it up everytime i get a new fish. Can i just let it run all the time, and test the water once a week? I filled my current QT tank with the water from the display tank, and the replaced that 12 gal, and made it my water change for the month.

thanks

Transfering the water from the main tank is a good start but you should still cycle the QT like any other tank. Once accomplished, you only need to place small amounts of food in it 1-2x a week to keep the bacteria fed. If the QT is needed in a hurry, simpley transfer some biomedia from the main tank. Filter pads, bioball/bale or the like. Do not use rock or substrate though.

You do not need to do water changes with it while there are no fish but I would suggest a small 10% change with newly made SW that has been prepared in advance. A day ahead of when new fish will be added. That will help ensure the chem is up to par.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom