Quarantine

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

leviskimboards

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi guys! I just caught a Hawaiian cleaner wrasse for my tank. He's beautiful!! I want to quarantine him and he has no symptoms and is active and healthy. If he has no symptoms how long should I quarantine him?

True cleaner wrasses are a NO NO for tanks.
Their survival rate is dismal.
Strongly consider if you know how to care for this fish while release is still an option?
Sorry if everyone else dis agrees.

Yes totally agree with you. But I've been pretty successful with these guys in the past.

Most Qt for 4-6 weeks.
Good luck and meant to ask for a pic.
Do not treat for anything unless you see/suspect it.

well if you are determined to keep it, be sure to regularly introduce parasites into your system so it has something to eat. ;)

Yes totally agree with you. But I've been pretty successful with these guys in the past.

I've never had luck with these, so I gave up on them long ago. What do you define as "pretty successful"? How many have you kept in the past and what were they in the tank with?

For QT, I'd go 8 weeks and hope it does not starve in the process.

What is in the tank already?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Well all I have in there is a clean up crew. Some hermit crabs some snails,brittle stars, and a couple sea cucumber. I will be able to feed my wrasse for a long time since one of the hermit crabs I got was pregnant. Now I have little microscopic babies everywhere which is perfect for the wrasse. I have seen him eat a couple already its great!!!!

leviskimsboards, either you didnt see Todds question or chose to ignore it, either way, some of us are curious as to how you define succesful.
one glance at the liveaquaria.com profile of them offers ample reason to reconsider.
its not that we dont want you to have a cleaner wrasse, its that we need to do our part in practicing responsible husbandry. simply scooping a fish out of the see and keeping them isnt responsible

Cleaner Common Wrasse

you are still avoiding the initial question. ultimately none of us can force you to do anything and its your tank. But its a bit disheartening when an individual comes here for advice and members try to help but the op doesnt contribute/absorb the advice given.

My last one I had for over a year. He ate brine shrimp. I had an eel the he would be cleaning all the time. I guess I just got lucky..... We will see how this guy will do. I think what I'm doing is fine. You guys have given me a lot of advice that I have taken to make my tank even better! I appreciate it very much!

I'm just not a fan of being lucky in this hobby and it living one year is far from a success story. Fish should live years.

I kinda feel a responsibility as a pet owner (fish, dogs, reptiles, etc) to provide my pets with what they need to thrive. If I know I can't, I move on and find something I can care for properly. I don't feel right about it otherwise. I never get what I want because I feel it is "okay".

As someone else said, it's not like anyone here doesn't want you to have fish, but it would be more comforting to see suitable choices.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom