Quarantine Fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mrs.octavia.rollins

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm new to the whole saltwater tanks & I have a friend who is really good with them & ha been giving me a lot of advice but I hate bugging him all the time! I know I need to quarantine my fish I buy.. I have been getting a lot of people who say some different about how long to quarantine the fish. Some say two weeks & some say four to six weeks! I figured a little longer then two weeks since their immune system from being stressed due to collection, shipping & handling then to be out in a tank at a shop & the bought to go into a different quarantine tank. I don't want to stress them out so bad they die. If anyone could help that would be great!!

I QT and treat them as if they have something but not everyone likes to do that. If you acclimate them slowly you should be ok. Use some of your tank water in the QT. Have you cycled your tank yet? If you have, throw in a sponge that goes on a filter etc and let it grow some bacteria on it so you can use it in the QT when you get ready. Just make sure to throw it away when your done. It will help lessen water changes etc. and keep ammonia levels down. You need to be testing the QT and have water made up so you can do changes easily. I QT for 3-4 weeks but I'm paranoid about contaminating my tank.

My fish go straight from the store to my hypo qt for 4 weeks . Then I raise salinity in the qt for another week. After all that is done into my dt they go.

Back
Top Bottom