Quarantine Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brianf40us

Aquarium Advice Activist
If i were to set up a QT tank Is this all i would need?

I have a i believe 35 gallon tank just sitting in my basement.

HOB filter such as a bio wheel filter.

Heater.

Power head

PVC pipe.

Questions-
what should i run in my HOB floss or ceramic rings?

Also, if i were to let the tank run by itself should i add a source of amonia every now and then to keep the bacteria alive?

To get the tank cycled should i just put my HOB on my main tank to get it going then change it over to the QT tank?

If i were to leave the tank run with nothing in it do i need to do water chages every now and then or should i just keep the water level topped off.

How do you get your fish into the main tank again especially if i use copper to cure a fish from ich. I know if i use a net to net him out of the QT tank and then dip that net into the main tank it is going to put copper into the water.

If i were to set up a QT tank Is this all i would need?

I have a i believe 35 gallon tank just sitting in my basement.

HOB filter such as a bio wheel filter.

Heater.

Power head

PVC pipe.

Yup... that's all you need.

Questions-
what should i run in my HOB floss or ceramic rings?

No idea.

Also, if i were to let the tank run by itself should i add a source of amonia every now and then to keep the bacteria alive?

Yes... you'll have to do this.

To get the tank cycled should i just put my HOB on my main tank to get it going then change it over to the QT tank?

That's what I'd do. But I'd probably still drop an ammonia source in the QT after putting the HOB on just to make sure.

If i were to leave the tank run with nothing in it do i need to do water chages every now and then or should i just keep the water level topped off.

No need to do water changes during the idle period, and in fact you don't need to worry too much about top off either. Just don't let the salinity go up too much.

How do you get your fish into the main tank again especially if i use copper to cure a fish from ich. I know if i use a net to net him out of the QT tank and then dip that net into the main tank it is going to put copper into the water.

Separate nets. It's always good to keep separate 'stuff' for your quarantine tank. Whether it's nets or gloves or whatever... if QT water touches it, make sure it doesn't touch your main. I also try to avoid nets if at all possible when transferring back into the main tank. If you net them into a small collection container, you can usually get your hand in there and scoop them.

The powerhead isn't needed unless strong medications are used such as copper or Formalin, but an added airstone would suffice in adding extra oxygenation as an alternative. Filter pads would be my choice. You can run the hob on your main as you stated or add some chunks of live rock to the qt for cycling. This can also be done for recycling purposes once a treatment has ended and the qt tank disinfected. Rinse the net/fish in saltwater after netting the animal if you are worried about copper transfer.

How do you disinfect a QT tank. Just allow it to run with nothing in it for a while.
What do you mean rinse the fish/net? Do you mean just have a bucket of clean saltwater and dip the fish and net into the bucket of fresh saltwater.

yes i have read the article and it says in there not to use a deep tank for QT but that is all i have. I have a 44 gallon (i believe) tall hexagon tank. Will this due the job.

Also how do you get your fish out of the main tank? I was going to purchase a nice size net for easier catching.

I do not have a problem in my tank yet but i want to be prepared with a QT tank setup and ready to go just in case. I went out and bought everything for it so im ready to go.

Also if my tank were to come down with ick do i have to remove inverts from the main tank or wont ICK bother Inverts due to their hard outter exoskeleton.

The only thing you need to remove are the fish. Leave your main fishless for 6 to 8 weeks and it should play out the life cycle of the parasite.

How do you disinfect a QT tank. Just allow it to run with nothing in it for a while.

Once the quarantine tank is empty you should drain the water and bleach including all contents (except sponge filters). Use Clorox Bleach at a rate of 12oz. of bleach per 1 gallon of water.

What do you mean rinse the fish/net? Do you mean just have a bucket of clean saltwater and dip the fish and net into the bucket of fresh saltwater.
If you are worried about residual copper or other medications, net the fish out and gently pour water over the animal and net, then release. To rid a system of copper you can use polyfilters and Cuprisorb.

yes i have read the article and it says in there not to use a deep tank for QT but that is all i have. I have a 44 gallon (i believe) tall hexagon tank. Will this due the job.
All you need is a 20g for most quarantine situations unless you plan to purchase a large fish or in great quantities. You can purchase a 20g for very cheap at most lfs or Petsmart, Walmart, etc. or purchased used.

Also how do you get your fish out of the main tank? I was going to purchase a nice size net for easier catching.
Purchase two medium sized nets that will allow you to easily maneuver within the aquarium and rockwork. A clear container can also be purchased to aid in fish capture.

Also if my tank were to come down with ick do i have to remove inverts from the main tank or wont ICK bother Inverts due to their hard outter exoskeleton.
Crypt will not affect invertebrates as it does fish so you will not have to remove them as Melosu stated :)

I have a huge clear plastic bin. I believe it holds 30 gallons can i use this as a qt tank.

As long as it wasn't used to store chemicals or chemicals used in/on it you should be fine. I would wash it out thoroughly and probably wouldn't hurt to then fill it with freshwater and run an ammonia test on it after 24hrs.

Back
Top Bottom