Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SW Beginner

Aquarium Advice Activist
An idiot question I know but one that needs to be asked. I am new to this hobby and starting out with a 55G SW tank. This question actually is in regards to a fish only aquarium. What type of filtration system would be best? In purchasing the aquarium and stand some equipment was included, such as a 402 powerhead. Originally the aquarium was used as a reef one. Would it be best to go with a filter such as a Penguin Biowheel 330 or one such as the Haygen Aquaclear 300? Fortunately I have not bought fish for the aquarium as of yet but probably will sometime after the 21st (figured it would be a good idea to wait a couple weeks from everything I've read thus far).

SW Beginner said:
An idiot question I know but one that needs to be asked. I am new to this hobby and starting out with a 55G SW tank.

This is a good size to start with :D

This question actually is in regards to a fish only aquarium. What type of filtration system would be best?

IMO, the best filter to use would be live sand and live rock. These will also serve a decorations, it will be more natural to your fish and reduce stress for them.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=9
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=16
http://www.rshimek.com/reef/sediment.htm
If this isn't an attractive idea to you, I would recommend a wet/dry filter.

In purchasing the aquarium and stand some equipment was included, such as a 402 powerhead. Originally the aquarium was used as a reef one. Would it be best to go with a filter such as a Penguin Biowheel 330 or one such as the Haygen Aquaclear 300?

You can run a S/W aquarium with those filters, but you would need a couple of the 330s, I don't like them as much as a wet/dry, but they will work.

Fortunately I have not bought fish for the aquarium as of yet but probably will sometime after the 21st (figured it would be a good idea to wait a couple weeks from everything I've read thus far).

Unless this tank was established and then moved, it needs to be cycled before you add any fish. There is no need to make any fish endure the cycling process. Check this link out to learn how to cycle without fish...
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=101

Just a quick update here. Emperor 400 filter added. Powerhead removed. (Should I have done that?) Top Fin Air pump removed. Is there a relatively easy way to remove the gravel and put in a sand bed? Any particular place I should get the sand? (Live in Tampa so I will probably be getting some live rock and live sand from Tampa Bay Saltwater.) Other news: still no fish as of yet so fortunately none will have to pay the price of my screwing things up at this time. Additional question: How does one go about adding a sump to the system? Perhaps one better question would be is there any particular book recommended for idiots like me who are just starting out into the world of aquariums. 'Saltwater aquariums for Idiots' perhaps? :wink:

SW Beginner said:
Just a quick update here. Emperor 400 filter added. Powerhead removed. (Should I have done that?)

Ther is nothing "wrong" with it, although I would not have done it. The biological filtration is unnecessary and in most cases, unwanted, if you have adequate LS and LR in the tank. The LS and LR will handle all the filtration for you. You could use the Emperor, for Carbon filtration every now and again and for water flow. Simply remove the biowheels, however, I would not do this until there is enough LR and LS in the tank to handle the bioload.

Is there a relatively easy way to remove the gravel and put in a sand bed? Any particular place I should get the sand? (Live in Tampa so I will probably be getting some live rock and live sand from Tampa Bay Saltwater.)

The easiest way will be to siphon out the CC and then add the sand. It is not necessary to use 100% LS, you can use mostly dry sand and seed with some LS, maybe 80-90% dry and 10-12% LS. The sand should be approximately the size of sugar grains, very fine sand. In the NE, Home depot sells Southdown Tropical Playsand, which is an aragonite based sand of the proper grain size. I learned a couple of weeks ago, the SD sand is actually mined/processed in Ft Meyers FL and they will sell it to you directly for about $20.00 for 1 ton or $10.00 for 1/2 ton. Very good deal indeed! If your interested in the name and phone number of the company let me know and I'll get it for you.

Additional question: How does one go about adding a sump to the system?

It's fairly easy, once you get the tank for the sump, you will need an after market overflow box. Add the box to the tank, plumb to the sump, start the siphon, turn on the return pump in the sump and off ya go. It is, of course, a little more involved than that, but that gives you a general idea. When you get ready, let us know and we'll get a little more in depth.

Perhaps one better question would be is there any particular book recommended for idiots like me who are just starting out into the world of aquariums. 'Saltwater aquariums for Idiots' perhaps? :wink:

:lol: There is a S/W Aquariums for Dummies but I cannot speak to whether it is worth the money or not. There is a suggested reading list in the getting started section...
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=17

Thank you very much for your help so far, Kevin, and I will continue asking questions as I stumble along the way!

Actually, would you please be so kind as to let me know the name and number of the company? I would greatly appreciate it! Also picked up The New Marine Aquarium last night. At the very least it is a step in the right direction. :D

Back
Top Bottom