Question about acclimation and pH

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

francis

Aquarium Advice Freak
What am I supposed to do if the pH of the fishstores water and my water is different?

How can I adjust it so it does not stress my fish

So long as your pH isn't ridiculously high or low, drip acclimating for 30 mins - an hour prevents pH shock so your fish shouldn't be stressed. Increase surface agitation and see where that puts your pH. If you really want it around 8.3 obsessively, add a pH buffer/booster.

You could use kalk but you need to dose it very slowly and know when to stop.

So long as your pH isn't ridiculously high or low, drip acclimating for 30 mins - an hour prevents pH shock so your fish shouldn't be stressed. Increase surface agitation and see where that puts your pH. If you really want it around 8.3 obsessively, add a pH buffer/booster.

You could use kalk but you need to dose it very slowly and know when to stop.

I agree, do a slow acclimation and eventually the PH will match. I don't drip I just add a litter water every 5-10 minutes until the bag is full. Then put the fish in or dump half the water into the sink and then start adding more tank water. However, dripping is great.
You don't need to be at "8.3" There isn't anything wrong with hanging out around 7.8+, with 8.4 being your top end. Main thing for your main tank is keep it as stable as possible within that range.

Last edited:
I did do the drip method it was just my fish still laid on the bottom when I entered him. Another question regarding acclimation though, how do I get the temperature to match? Can I just put a heater into the drip bucket with the fish?

My fish is currently quarantined for ich ): so I have an empty tank..bleh

I did do the drip method it was just my fish still laid on the bottom when I entered him. Another question regarding acclimation though, how do I get the temperature to match? Can I just put a heater into the drip bucket with the fish?

My fish is currently quarantined for ich ): so I have an empty tank..bleh

No. Theoretically if you acclimate correctly, the tank water and acclimation water will have the same temp, same PH etc.

Back
Top Bottom