Question about adding fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrsPeel

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am a ways from adding fish, but have a question (I hope this doesn't sound stupid)

My tank <29g> is cycling (week 4), and I was thinking about the fish I wanted to add. Right now I think I want the following

Firefish Goby
Ocellaris Clownfish (for my son)
Royal Gramma

I'm questioning the Royal Gramma, since my research shows it isn't very social. Can anyone suggest a fish that is as colorful but more social?

Anywho, my questions is in regards of how to add the fish. How do I add them? All at once (with proper quarentine) or one at a time (won't they think the entire tank is their territory)? I hope my question (or should I say questions) makes sense.

The royal gramma is fine as long as you don't put anymore of the same species in the tank. I forget what family they are from but they will fight with others of the same type. I have a strawberry in my tank. seems to be more "playful" than the royal I had and my Hatian anemone had a rather large lunch. :roll:

Royal Gramma (Gramma loreto) ... is a basslet, a.k.a. the Fairy Basslet. They don't like other basslets. The clownfish is actually a tough guy too, so you'd not need to worry about him anyways. The Royal Gramma should be rather peaceful to the others, they just don't like their own kind. It does prefer caves and the like, and it may hide from you (I don't know, I've never had one) but it really is a beautiful fish.

How should I had them to my tank? At the same time(after QT) or one after the other. Should there be an order?

Yes, add the firefish or gramma first...probably gramma. Whatever the case, since clownfish are semi-aggressive, add him last, so that the other fish have established their domains and he'll feel like an outsider, making him less territorial. Sorry I forgot about your sequence question. :) HTH!

Back
Top Bottom