Question about coralline algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ScootB

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My LFS sales live rock already covered in coralline. I'm going to set up my flat back hexagon 40 gallon should I cycle before adding this rock or will it hurt the coralline? Thanks for the input.

It doesn't matter. Most of the coralline will die off either way and then come back over time.

So is it even worth paying the extra for the rock or just wait till tank established and running then add that coralline in the bottle? They selling it for $8.00 pound. I'm new to this so sorry if sounds like dumb question. Always had fresh just now deciding to dip my toes in the salt water

So is it even worth paying the extra for the rock or just wait till tank established and running then add that coralline in the bottle? They selling it for $8.00 pound. I'm new to this so sorry if sounds like dumb question. Always had fresh just now deciding to dip my toes in the salt water

No I mean if it looks like healthy rock maybe just get a couple of pieces to seed the rest of the rock. What is this coralline in a bottle? I've never heard of that

I have heard of it last time i was at the lfs. I guess it will speed up coralline algae growth on LR. Kinda new tech though.

I would buy a very small amount of true live rock.. probably about 10% of the total amount of rock in your tank would be a good ratio of live rock.

The purple up you are referring to is junk. Don't waste your time and money with it. The coralline will come naturally and then you will curse at it every week when you have to scrape copious amounts off the front of the glass.

If you are thinking of purple up. It isnt coraline in a bottle but rather it just promotes corraline growth. You will still need a source of coralline to seed your tank.

Back
Top Bottom