Question about curing rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

c0mf0rt

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My LFS has had some LR for a few weeks now and I went in the other day to see if it was "cured"... They tested the nitrites.. and it still had quite a few....

My question is this... if the ammonia is all gone and converted into nitrites then isn't every thing done dying off???? Wouldn't it be safe to pick some up and put it in my tank ??????

That's a toughy...I think that if there is still nitrite showing up, then it's likely that there is still a lot of ammonia being produced. The bacteria are converting it to the nitrite, so you may not get readings on it.

If they've gone that far, I would just wait a little longer until the nitrite spike drops, then you know for sure.

If your worried a good rock will be purchased while your wating then you can setup a small curing vessle like a bucket at your house and finish the curing there. You dont want to add any rock that is still producing ammonia or nitrite.

Back
Top Bottom