Question about Hawaiian Feather Duster

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jlsardina

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hello all,
I have a question regarding my feather duster. I got it a few days ago at my LFS. it seemed healthy at the time. I also introduced to my tank at the same time two clownfish. Needless to say I had a little spike of ammonia with the addition of the fish. However, my question is this, my feather duster has now begun to only open up at night when my lights are off. Why is this? The only issue with my water right now is that my ammonia is at just under .225 ppm. Could this be the reason why? I did a PWC today to fix the water, but my feather duster is still a no show. I do have two peppermint shrimp in my tank but have never seen them near the feather duster. Also, during the day, the top of the tube almost looks like it has been pinched closed. Is that normal? What can I do? This poor guy is going nocturnal on me! Please help!

Before...

View attachment 52495

Now....

View attachment 52496

View attachment 52497

Just a note, this is where he moved to. I didn't place him. Figured he find his way to his preferred spot. And he has anchored himself in there pretty well. He is not pinched on any rocks or anything (I have checked).

PLEASE HELP!

View attachment 52540

See? Out at night. But not out at all during the day. I sat and watched him after lights out for about an hour. The clowns were swimming around him and even somewhat into the crown and he stayed open. Then. Randomly he slowly closes back up. And 2-3 minutes later slowly reopens. But he won't open up during the day anymore. Please help

2 clowns
1 temporary (until I can catch him) domino damsel
15 astreas
3 nassarisus snails
2 peppermint shrimp
1 emerald crab
1 sand sifting sea star
1 green flower pot
1 leather coral

It doesn't appear that anyone else is bothering him. I have been watching almost all day.

My clowns are even trying to host the feather duster and it stays open at night for them. But lights come on and it tucks itself away

Back
Top Bottom