Question about Nitrate levels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Criptix

Aquarium Advice Freak
I did a 50% example on my QT to make it ready for fish. Before wc Nitrate readings were: 160 ppm and now they are 40 ppm. I know the ideal reading is 0 but is 40 ppm acceptable?
I do plan to test again tomorrow to be sure.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

It can be, depending on the fish. But you should aim to as close to 0 as possible. Once you add fish you will be feeding and they will be pooping, raising those nitrates. Starting at 40 is only putting you behind the curve.

It can be, depending on the fish. But you should aim to as close to 0 as possible. Once you add fish you will be feeding and they will be pooping, raising those nitrates. Starting at 40 is only putting you behind the curve.

Thank you!I will test water tomorrow to be sure.If it is 40ppm how big a wc should I do?

A 50% water change will take 40 down to 20 and well on your way to 0. I think one should shoot for under 10.

What if I did a 75% wc?
I am also concerned that a drop in Nitrates will affect the fish. Can fish be as affected by a swing in Nitrates as Ammonia and Nitrites?

Not as drastically. I'd be concerned about other swings like temp to affect the fish before the nitrates would. If it were corals I'd be more concerned as they are much more sensitive to spikes and swings in parameters. Even a drastic drop in 'bad' parameters can be stressful, which is why the instructions on GFO says to start adding slowly and more over time.
This said, I wouldn't want to do anything larger than a 50% in a day just so nothing was shocked from any drastic swing. I might be on the more sensitive side of things, but I don't want anything to stress out my corals.

Not as drastically. I'd be concerned about other swings like temp to affect the fish before the nitrates would. If it were corals I'd be more concerned as they are much more sensitive to spikes and swings in parameters. Even a drastic drop in 'bad' parameters can be stressful, which is why the instructions on GFO says to start adding slowly and more over time.
This said, I wouldn't want to do anything larger than a 50% in a day just so nothing was shocked from any drastic swing. I might be on the more sensitive side of things, but I don't want anything to stress out my corals.

You have been a great source of advice ! Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom