question on covered tank and live sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

alua

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi we have been looking at tanks today and i am wondering weather to go for a covered tank or an uncovered one , the covered ones here seem to come as a kit and everything in it is for fresh water fish , i'm thinking of going for a tank that is sold on it's own but it has no cover , for lighting i have seen some lights that clip on the tank i was worried about dust going in the tank , will the skimmer deal with that . And my question about the live sand i thought it would be sold wet but i asked and they showed me a bag of dry sand is that live sand? also are live rocks sold wet or dry aswell? we live on an island and are probably abit limited on stores here . :roll:
Thanks for your help

My tank is uncovered as far as a canopy and no glass cover. I run VHO lights and run a reflector over the lights. Pics are below. As far as the sand I would put down dry sand and put a couple cups of LS from your LFS on top to seed it. The dry sand is not live. As far as live rock if it comes from the ocean or someone elses tank and is still wet then it is live but if it is dry then it is base rock and not live at the moment.

Attachments

• 100_0972_251.jpg
    100_0972_251.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 25
  • 100_0975_146.jpg
    100_0975_146.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 29
Thanks for the fotos , about the live rocks does that mean i would beable to pick up some rocks from the ocean and use them? .

Florida its illeagel (watched a video on live rock)

I use egg crate to cover the top. I didnt want to take a chance on any carpet surfers or give the kiittys any ideas.

Its a 65 gal tank and I cut the egg crate into 4 pieces. its in a 2x2 pattern. ( 1 front left n right and 1 back left n right> This allows me to easily remove 1 section to feed, move something around, PWC etc and not worry bout the entire tank being open. I have noticed I get less evaporation using the egg crate, and Ive not notice any lighting difference or shadows from using the egg crate.

Gives me peace of mind.

Back
Top Bottom