Question on Fuge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sean112280

Aquarium Advice Freak
As my set-up is now, I was wondering if I can make a part of it a fuge? Does anybody see a way to do this? I am a lil confused as to how I would do it.

Thanks
Sean

Attachments

• IMAG0162.jpg
    IMAG0162.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 85
  • IMAG0163 (1).jpg
    IMAG0163 (1).jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 78
I would make the chamber where you have your skimmer at the Fuge and move the Skimmer over to the Overflow side- IMO the bigger the fuge the better... :)

Tank- I can try that. I have to see if my skimmer will fit in that section. good idea. thanks.

Fastfossil-Thank you I appreciate it

i would put the skimmer in the section on the right. put the return pump in that small section on the left, and the refugium in the middle.

Mr. X,

I like your idea too. I just need to see if my tubing will reach. I guess I will try both ways and see which way would better work out. Now is there anything special I would have to do to turn it into a fuge? or would it be good the way it is?

just toss some macros in the area and maybe some live rock rubble and put a light over it. that's it. some use the refugium to house a deep sand bed also.
i'm just wondering why you have your return pump half way up and in that giant compartment. it seems like a waste. how much does tubing cost?

yea this was an upgrade from the 30 gal that is now my sump, and i haven't gotten any more tubing to let it sit on the bottom. Due to your suggestions I will probably shift things around. I am still fairly new at this and I learn new things everyday. That is why I am asking about a fuge. I didn't thing about it when I turned the 30 into a sump. This was all DIY.

ahh..not enough tubing...lol...i thought there was something else, like micro bubbles or something. gotcha.
btw, what is that chain? holding the return pump? is that in the water? if so, i would get it out. salt water and metals....stainless or not...

yep not enough tubing. Its is plastic coated chain. Yea it was a quick fix, I will fix it. I just need to get some more tubing and I will be good. Can I use tubing from home depot? or does it have to be from my LFS?

i hear you on the rainy day. I wish I was sitting home. instead I am on 24 hr duty.

yeah dude, hose is like $1 a foot or cheaper when you but 10 feet. go to home depot and mess around with fittings and hoses. if you don't have a ball valve you might want to add that. I see you have a check valve. All plastic?

my idea for the sump, is to 180 the sump, that way the the sock is in the big chamber, which will now be on the left. That will be the fuge area. that will get a lot of movement in there which is what you want for a fuge. You may have to add another 6" partition if you want a deep sand bed, but you could do a good large piece of rock instead, with a lot of rubble around it. some chaeto and a light on the opposite cycle as the main DT lights. the only problem I see with the return pump in the small chamber is that if the water level drops below the last baffle, you are going to suck air or at least cascading bubbles. so you may want to shield the intake of the pump so that it doesn't get pummeled by bubble water. maybe another piece of sponge.

OR...

just drop your return pump down, put another baffle that reaches about halfway up, and put the fuge in the right hand section.

Yes the check valve is all plastic. You have a good idea on this too. I appreciate your insight. I will be playing around with the ideas to come up with a solution. Thanks

why not put a deep sand bed in the refugium? why does it need it's own compartment?
i hope the OP intends to use an ATO (automatic top off) so that his sump will never reach a dangerous low.

i don't think i need another partition. I never said i wasn't going to put a DSB in either. I also check my water consistently and my wife is home all day so she also knows what and how to fill my water if it indeed gets low. I wish i had the room for an ATO so it would be automated some but i don't have that luxury at the current time and place.

but believe me, it's going to evaporate very fast once you change to the small compartment. just a FYI.

yes i know. it does now how it is. Like I said im going to play around with the ideas and come up with the best solution to combine a fuge but not screw over the evap rate too much.

Back
Top Bottom