question on my new 29 gallon sw fish only tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mattt6511

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello i just got a 29 gallon tank yesterday, pretty basic setup normal powerfilter, 100w heater, and a stock florescent light.. I would like to change the bulb to a 50/50 bulb can i do that with a stock hood light??? all i wanted was to get that nicer glow that the nice light setups have without spending hundreds. Since this is a fish only tank i dont think i need any fancy light. Also is it ok to use this normal light with some liverock, no coral or anything... This is what im planning to do say 30 pounds of argulive live sand, only like 10 or 15 pounds live rock, a cheap jebo 180 protein skimmer, my stock powerfilter, that 50/50 bulb i was talking about, a 900 powerhead, and say when its all done cycling ill throw in 2 clownfish.. Im looking for a cheap basic setup, does all this sound oky, and the lightbulb can i do that. I already have the reeftank going and that has alot of money in it....

Hey sounds good i think light thing would work so long as you match the wattage with bulb and ballast.

Ya it sounds fine. IMO you should spend 150 bucks on a DIY MH setup. Or buy a cheap PC setup for under 100 bucks. Most FOWLR aquarists endup getting the reef itch on fowlr tanks sooner or later. :twisted:

I wouldn't buy the mh light unless you are thinking you might upgrade.
From what I got out of that you wanted a 50/50 bulb, which is probably up to 20 dollars. So I think mh just for lr and clownfish is a little extreme for right now.

Back
Top Bottom