Questions a out new tank and live rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jeffinflorida72

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Just picked up a 35 gallon FOWLR tank from a friend who no longer wanted it. This is my first salt tank so I'm not sure of a few things. When I set up I only transported 1/2 the old water which tested really high: ammonia, nitrates, phosphates etc. After topping off with new water and extra filtration, levels are normal. Problem is I found some copper based fish treatment and I plan to grow inverts, corals etc. One guy at the LFS said to throw out all LR and sand as will always release copper. Another said to get rid of sand and get a copper removal filter. I did the later and copper tests at trace levels, but not zero. First question is: when can I put new sand in? Im told the sand can absorb the copper and should remove copper before adding sand. Also, there are a few really nice rock/coral pieces that have died, but I want to add to tank. Will they absorb bacteria and turn back into "live" rock over time? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Also, tank came with maroon clown that survived and yesterday I put a few hermits and they are doing well.

Back
Top Bottom