Questions about cheato

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

natman2

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ok I have a thirty gallon tank plumbed out to my main and want to add some macro algae. First off where do I get it? It may be at my lfs and I have never seen it and have never asked. Do most lfs carry this item?

What is a reasonable price?

Will it get sucked into the ph I have for return flow to the main tank?

Flow is provided by a 175 gph ph back to the main tank; to much, to little?

Do the micro algae really reduce nitrates effectively? I am starting to notice my nitrites creep up around the 10 mark for the first time and don't like it. :evil:

Wouldn't regular algae like hair and diatom accomplish the same use of nitrates/nutrients for growth in the fuge?

I have my skimmer in the 30 gallon right now should I put it back on the side of the main tank if I add any cheato? This is something I would rather not do but I have to I will. I have no sump to sit it in. I guess with the add flow of the skimmer there is quite a bit of flow in the 30 gallon/fuge. Good or bad?

check the classified section on this forum for the chaeto (or ebay). It is very effective, IMO, and is very low maintenance.

Jim

I got my cheato on Ebay. I think $10 for a softball sized amount. I put it in the sump where the skimmer is. Light it 12/24 with a Phillips par 30 75W halogen. Stuff has doubled in size in less than 2 months.

Haven't taken a Nitrate reading yet tho.

Mike

after adding chaeto to my sump/fuge, my nitrates are steadily reading 0 ! I check them once a week, too, and they used to hover around 10. Definately worth it. I bought mine on ebay too, although I know there's folks on here who sell it also. I keep mine in my sump with my skimmer and have no problems thus far. You won't regret the chaeto, it's awesome.

My lfs did have it.:jump: Fist full for ten bucks. A bit high but I am pretty much resigned to the fact that retail prices suck.

Ever notice the odd smell when you walk into a wally world or home labyrinth? I am pretty sure thats the stench that over priced retail crap give off :D

Back
Top Bottom