Questions about my Bubble Tip Anemone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Reese

Aquarium Advice Activist
I bought a BTA a few months ago. It was sold to me as a Maroon BTA. The base was a pale rust red and the tentacles were pale white with maybe a slight green tint to them. When I first brought it home it kept its tentacles rather compact and bulblike. The first night it wandered under a ledge of LR and found a spot that concealed its base and allowed it to extend its tentacles around the rocks. It hasn't moved from this spot since.

Okay, I haven't seen it become very compact or bulblike since I first bought it. Its tentacles are usually elongated and recently they've changed color. First thing I noticed was some white specks on them. But more recently they've gotten to become green in color and no longer seem translucent as they once were.

The tank (29 gal.) has been cycled for almost 10 months. Water parameters have been good. Lighting is fine (75W VHO 10,000K and 75W VHO Actinic Blue) Tank mates are a small yellow tang, a false perc and a royal gramma, some nasarius snails and a few hermits (scarlet and blue leg).

This my first SW tank and my first experience with an anenome. Does this sound bad? I haven't really thought it looked bad but now it's green so I'm concerned.

Thanks in advance. And I apologize if I haven't supplied enough information.

Anemones are very good at finding spots where they are happy with the flow and lighting. Unfortunantly sometimes it is not were WE would like to see them. It is not really know what casues the BTA's tentacles to bulb-up. Mine does for a little while right after it purges, then they become elongated again for a long period of time. Your lighting may have someting to do with the color change.

On a side note...a 29 is really way too small for a yellow tang. You should consider bringing bcak to the LFS. You have lots of other nice, more size-appropriate, options for your tank.

lando,
but you wouldn't be concerned about the color change? The anenome eats fine and everything. I'm just making sure that this isn't a bad sign. I have no problem with its location I was just giving some background to show that it was content in the spot it found the first day I brought it home. Is this a green anenome?

As for the yellow tang, I'm aware of space needed to keep one and I appreciate what you're saying. But it is a very small yellow tang and it is doing very well. The only reason I purchased it was because I'm currently preparing my next tank (100 gallon) where he'll eventually be housed.

thanks for your reply.

Anyone/anything else?

The only color change I would be really concerned with is if it begins to look bleached or whitish. This is a sure sign of the animal not getting enough light. The fact that they are not "translucent" may actually be a good sign. another possibility is that some anemones are actually dyed with ink to appear more attractive at the time of purchase. If it does not kill them, it will disappear with time.
As for the tang...I guess we will have to agree to disagree. I just call 'em as I see 'em :wink:

Thanks lando.

And we don't necessarily disagree. Like I said, I only took on the tang because of my plan for a larger setup...

I have two BTA 's and one of them has the white specks that you describe. It has been fine. As long as it is eating and not bleached I would not worry about it. As far as the tang goes I strongly agree with lando. With a tang it is not the size of the fish that requires the room it is the swimming requirements. I would take it back to LFS or put your upgrade in high gear. :wink:

Sometimes people overfeed their anenomies. I dont know how much you are feeding. I dont feed mine at all. I would not feed more than once every 2 weeks.

melosu58 said:
Sometimes people overfeed their anenomies. I dont know how much you are feeding. I dont feed mine at all. I would not feed more than once every 2 weeks.

I probably feed it about once or twice a week.

Please, I understand the Tang thing. I get it. I've seen the advice posted here everytime somebody proposes keeping a tang in anything less than a 3,000 gallon tank. BUT, like I said:

"The only reason I purchased it was because I'm CURRENTLY preparing my next tank (100 gallon) where he'll eventually be housed."

Think of it as being in a quarantine tank. He's fine.

Seriously, don't take my tone serious. I appreciate all of the advice and information that many of you have offered...

I feed my anemone an average of 3 times every 2 weeks. if they do not want it they will let it go.
BTW Do not know if anyone has mentioned it or not but that tank is not big enough for a tang. :D

Back
Top Bottom