Questions about setting up a new tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hookman

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am getting a 55 gal and I was wondering what people recommend for filters. I have read a lot of different opinions. I was going to use a UGF with powerheads, but my lfs told me they suck because bad bacteria can grow in dead zones and kill fish. I was thinking of using a emperor 400 and prizm skimmer and two powerheads in the corners for circulation. I was thinking of 235gph for powerheads, would that be too much. I also plan on cycling with live sand and live rock, what amount of K's should I use. Also, my friend and I were wondering what to use to get the copper out of the tap water we used to fill his tank. He wants a lot of inverts, and I thought copper kills them? Any advice welcomed, Thanks!!

Have you tested the water for copper?

I would use 75lbs of rock, 120lbs of sand to achieve 4" depth, and two maxijet 1200, for your filtration. no other external filtration would be needed. you should then get a cleanup crew to keep the sand clean. all other filtration is money that you don't have to spend.

Any copper will kill inverts. Other than that I think a skimmer and the amount of LS and LR ReefRaff suggested is all good.

Any copper will kill inverts.

Perhaps if the copper is used to skewer them. Copper is a necessary trace element for inverts, it is when the Cu level rises above a certain point that it becomes a problem. Also Cu can be bound which reduces it's bioavailability which in turn reduces it's toxicity.

hello hookman.
a little advice on tapwater in the UK. i live just outside warrington and the tapwater here isnt too bad but i dont use it. if you want to know what your tapwater contains you can contact United Utilities on 08457 462200 if you give them your post code and a little info they will send you a copy of the drinking water register summary.
when you read it it is pritty much self explanatry.

as has allready been said copper is a trace element in NSW but you are looking at at about 0.000254 ppm which there is no way you will get a test kit that will go this low.

also i would say if you test for copper with the test kits available in the UK and get any reading, you will never beable to get it low enouth to put inverts in the tank. Once there is copper in the tank it will leach out of the rock and gravel/sand for years.
sorry im not being very posative but here is a little info on water quality that may help you.
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-03/rs/feature/index.htm

HTH
danny

ooops. sorry hookman i think i may have read your location wrong.. we allso have a west chester in the UK too... not too far from where i live.. :oops:

Dan

Back
Top Bottom