Questions for doing a 20 gal long DIY sump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well if I would make the cuts the short way across the pipe about 3/4" deep, that would make the pipe have teeth. What is the purpose of teeth on a overflow? Just to skim the surface a lil deeper?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

The teeth on a vertical overflow allow water to flow through, while preventing CUc and fish from simply swimming over the weir. I don't think that would be a problem with the horizontal pipe. But the teeth would provide a larger drainage area, meaning you have to spend less time digging out colonista snails.

I was thinking that 1/4" is too wide and I should go 1/8" every 1/8", 3/4" deep. Will I have to clean the inside of that pipe? I plan on it so I will have to make it so I can take it apart. What do you think?

Here is my prototype!ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1408311083.453107.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1408311179.125727.jpg I went with 1/8" every 1/8", 1/2" deep. I appreciate any questions, comments or constructive criticism.

I think you'll need the 1/4 in spacing but let us know how it works. Looks good. Hows the flow rate?

Don't know yet on the flow rate, hope to drill my tank sometime this week and set it up to see how many gph I get. What do you think the issue will be with the 1/8" spacing? I could easily nip off every other tooth with the table saw. I'll definitely let you know how it works

You will be limited to a maximum gravity flow rate based on the pipe. Assuming you are using 1.25" ID pipe, the best you can get is about 1500GPH. 1.25"OD is 960 GPH. Of course you may need to do something to silence the drain, reducing the flow rate some.

Yea I was wondering about the static pressure on that type of overflow. It will basically just have very little pressure and have a siphon effect going to the sump. How gph of water should I have going thru that 46 gal tank with a 20 gal sump. Will it hurt if I don't have the recommended turnover?

One question ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1408407830.295631.jpg should I have a tee with a vent in place of that top 90 elbow on both sides. If so should I vent every elbow like that?

"What do you think the issue will be with the 1/8" spacing?"

Im thinking that it may be to narrow and it will reduce the flow rate even further.
The flow rate through the sump ideally would match the flow rate of your skimmer. But a little off either way wont hurt.

Yea it does seem a lil small, I'll probably try it out and since it's a test piece I'll compare the 1/8" to the 1/4" gph. Thanks grizz

So I got my tank drilled and tested the 1/8" to the 1/4" and they both flow 300 gph, Is that enough? I do like the 1/4" better I just worry about things getting inside.

Just checked my protein skimmer, it says it's rated for 325 gph, so I'm close.

Over the last week I ran across this pic of a diy sump without bubble traps. I really like that you can make the fuge bigger, or is someone trying to reinvent the wheel. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1408925128.195036.jpg

Thats a good flow rate for your sump. The pic above looks like there feeding filtered water from the skimmer into the fuge, Bad idea you want that clean water going back to the main tank.

Ok that's good, thanks grizz!!

Question, I kinda thought that I would of got about 300 gph through each bulkhead, But I only got 150gph thru each. Why is that? If I would of drilled them lower and used a different overflow would that made a difference? When I tested the gph thru my overflow I didn't have my permanent plumbing ran to my sump, I just had sump pump hose ran to a 55 gal drum.
I guess my other question is, when I get my permanent plumbing ran to my sump and my DT is full & sump is full will I get a siphon effect and get more gph thru those bulkheads? Or am I just confusing. Lol

Back
Top Bottom