Questions for doing a 20 gal long DIY sump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

000trick000

Aquarium Advice Activist
I recently purchased a 20 gal long tank and a coralife 65 gal super skimmer. The directions are pretty vague on setting the water height in the sump compartment. Didn't know if anyone had a similar setup that I could cheat off of. this is my first saltwater tank, 46 gal bowfront with 20 gal long sump.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Are you using it in sump or as a hang on? In sump the pump needs to be covered by 3-4 inches of water in order for the skimmer to work. the outlet needs to be clear not under water or it will cause the skimmer to flood.

So with what you are telling me, my water level should be at about 7" and the directions are saying that it should be at about 9 1/2". The outlet would be submerged by about 2" of water. I'm guessing that there would be a siphoning effect that would cause the skimmer to flood. So 7" is 4" above the top of the pump and that is where I'm going to set my first baffel for a bubble trap.

Remember, it's always easy to raise a skimmer in the sump. Many of us, myself included, have platforms to raise the skimmer to the best hight. Raising the depth of the section afterwards, on the other hand, is very difficult.
I would recommend the deeper depth and then raise the skimmer with egg crate or, in my case, 1/2" thick plastic cutting board.

So ingy, I should probably set my first baffel at 8-9"? And raise the skimmer with a shim. Good idea.

I dont have it any longer I set my 1st baffle at 10 in. then set the skimmer on a stand with the output dumping into the next chamber

Ok cool, so I could dump it right into a bubble trap then. Thanks grizz

If you have a 3 section sump, then you can skim in the first and dump into the second. But I would caution against any for of dumping into the return section. In the event that a fat turbo gets into the DT overflow (It can happen in some overflow types), then your return pump will simply pump out the final section to the DT. Hopefully this will not cause an overflow (if your design is done right). However, if your skimmer dumps into the return section bubble trap, then, potentially, you could pump out most of your sump into the DT. So I would have your skimmer outflow close to, but not into, the return section.

Taking into account the 2 types of failures is critical in sump design. 1. A return pump failure, and 2. an overflow plugging.

I plan on having 2 - 3/4" bulkhead internal overflows in my DT. The directions on my skimmer says to let it pump out of the first compartment in my sump and dump it in my first compartment of my sump and then let it overflow into a bubble trap. I guess I will probably do it that way, it just didn't make much sense to be putting clean water that you just skimmed back into the first compartment to be skimmed again. But I guess that 55 gal coming thru two 3/4" lines should recycle quite often (by the way I don't have a return pump yet) still don't know my head height.

You'll be fine as long as you keep the out put into the 2nd chamber. For a return i'd look into a pump rated for 1000-1400 gph. Two 3/4 in pipes will flow about 1320 gph. with out bends you'll have more head loss as you add any 90's

Cool thanks for the info grizz. I will probably be using schedule 40 for my drain lines and my return lines so I'll have some elbows for sure. I plan on building my stand and drilling my tank withing the next couple of weeks. Need to do a lil research on my drill hole placement

I was wondering about that, probably 2 45s = a 90? I'm guessing. I was wondering about my internal overflows how hi should I drill those holes? I didn't want my overflow boxes to go to the bottom of the tank. I was thinking of having two overflows on each side of the tank that were like 4" wide 4" long and 5" deep. I'm open to suggestions also this tank will be viewable front and back but not the sides (it's going to be installed in a wall)

I like to drill mine around 1.5-2 inches below the trim this gives me plenty of glass at the top of the bulkhead And there's no such thing as to many questions If you have room try putting the overflow and returns on each end of the tank.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1407928328.334422.jpghave you ever seen an overflow like this? Looks like about a 1 1/4" PVC with a 1/4" slot cut down the middle. Attached by bulkheads on both ends. This looks pretty cool if it would work, plus it would skim more surface area across the tank. The only thing I would do different is run the cuts the other way. Use a 1/4" cut every 1/4" and go about 3/4" deep so it doesn't just skim the surface. I don't see why it wouldn't work

Iv'e seen them but never trusted them I like to have the teeth on my overflows.

Back
Top Bottom