questions on new 200 gal tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cajunbaby75

Aquarium Advice Regular
ok i finally got my new addition yesterday i am excited i have a few questions hoping someone can help, do you guys use a uv steralizer with LR ? new tank has one in sump and LFS said i didnt need live rock with the uv there. ive never owned a sump, the guy showed me how to hook it up , well i got it hooked up and started filling it now is it a good idea to fill the sump or let the over flow from your tank do that i dont want to ruin it and last but not least i plan on this being a FO SW so how many fish can i go with if i get a lion, dog face puffer, strawberry grouper any suggestions? and can i have a clean up crew in my tank with these fish and what kind would be suitable thank you all for any help

Attachments

• 200_gal_tank.jpg
    200_gal_tank.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 456
do you guys use a uv steralizer with LR ?
I do, not really needed but I like the water clarity that comes with a UV. A skimmer would be a better investment IMO.
and LFS said i didnt need live rock with the uv there
Load of crap. 8O LR is the best filtration and a must for the aggressive stock you are proposing. You are considering very messy eaters and a skimmer and a good amount of LR will be needed. The UV is nice, but has no filtration properties which you will need.
is it a good idea to fill the sump or let the over flow from your tank do
You don't want to "fill" the sump. If you have a power outage, you would then have a flood. I would start with about 1/3 full and go from there. If you have pumps and a skimmer in your sump, they will dictate the needed depth.
lion, dog face puffer, strawberry grouper any suggestions? and can i have a clean up crew in my tank with these fish
No, you have some invert eaters there, all the more reason to get a "good" skimmer.
for some suggestions, here is our guide to help you.
http://aquariumadvice.com/SWCompatibility.php
FO aggressive tanks are nice, but if you also want a diverse systems that included inverts, you may want to do some research before stocking.
I would also check into a few other LFS's, the advise you are getting from this one is very poor to this point.

I agree with quarryshark 100%. I'll repeat his opinion that this LFS is giving you bad advice. The functions of the UV and the LR are totally different...one can not replace the other.

Is that your tank? Looks like there's something in it already. :?

My recommendation would be to do some reading on the fish you'd like, check our compatability chart and decide what you'd ultimately like to populate it with before you buy any fish - or is it too late? :roll:

The 2 guys above that told you your LFS is giving bad advice are giving you good advice. Gotta do your own research more on not rely on that LFS too much.

lol ray :) im sure thats the pic from the other owner :) hard to mix cichlids and puffers/lions lmao :)

well I don't really think the dog faced puffer and the lionfish will get along... I believe they are "natural enemy's" and the puffer will actually nip all the fins off of the lionfish... I think this is the case... correct me if I'm wrong.

ok this is what i have in the sump 40 gal tank with doublehelix uv 9 watt pc, a lifeguard fluidized bed filter <i have no idea what this is any ideas?>, 2 250 watt heaters 2400 gph submersible utility pump, bio balls, pre filters , etc. 3 600 powerheads, ok the tank pic was the previous owners set up, i was wanting live rock because i was always told its better filtration, so i wasnt taking his opinion i wanted to hear from the people i trusted......you guys!!!!! so trust me im listening now after reading i see the lion and puffer are compatible, and i will add the puffer first due to it being docile more so than the lion i will do more research before i purchase any others but wont be purchasing any for a bit until my tank is ready to go , now the fluidized bed filter is that a type of skimmer? thats what i was told by the guy i bought the tank from. let me know if you think i should purchase one of them or will that work ? and last question what is the minimal amount of live rock i could start with in this tank i will add more but dont want to "break the bank" so to speak thanks everyone

no the fluidized filter isnt a skimmer or even close to one ! i wouldnt use it myself no need to really ! imo the lion and puffer are great tankmates :) id go for the best skimmer you can afford ! ya can get by with out one for a while if ya do your reg water changes and just have the two fish (puffer/lion) as long as ya dont over feed :) id start of with at least 100 lbs of rock if ya can you could get by with 50 lbs along with cheaper base rock imo :) good luck nice tank and take it slow will pay off in the long run

ok so a skimmer it is and ill take off the bed filter what is it good for? as for the LR ill get 50 lbs this weekend and purchase a little at a time until i have enough by then my tank should be well cycled and ready for fish <ill tape one to the glass for now lol> as far as the LFS im not going back im returning to the old one i use to use before i moved its farther but worth the drive and he gives free RO water since its taking my ro a while to catch up with tring to fill this tank thank you steve and everyone for the help i will keep you all posted and hope to have some pics of the tank with me as the owner thanks thanks thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That is some beautiful wood on the tank and canopy. What are those flower pots doing in the tank with the fish? 8O

Mike

mike lol that was a pic from the previous owner i promise i dont have flower pots in there thats i agree the wood work is awesome and look breathtaking in person

Back
Top Bottom