Quick fix to no protien skimmer.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Beau_123

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a 55g reef tank with no protien skimmer, refugium, or sump. It has been running for 4 months and I have noticed in the last couple weeks a build up of detritus on the surface of the water (I have a my powerheads near the surface to increase surface agitation). I know it's because I dont have a protien skimmer and I can't afford one at the current moment. There has been no spike in anything like ammonia, nitrite, or nitrate, however its starting to smell. The real question I'm asking is, is there anything I can to get rid of the detritus for a month or 2 until I can afford a good one. I did a 15% water change yesterday and that hasn't had an effect.

There are tricks like using paper towels on the surface to remove the 'skim' on the top of the water. I'm sure there are some youtube videos of it.
But the purpose of the skimmer is to remove any gunk before it can be converted into nitrates and phosphates. With this in mind, they fix to not having one is doing large and frequent water changes.

Ok thank you I plan on getting one I just need some time. Im just glad it hasnt effected water quality yet.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Ok thank you so much.

Would you have a pump? I have skimmers. Nothing name brand. It's a big sky aquatics brand hang on back skimmer. You should be able to find it on amazon I also use the I'm sump model for my current tank and love it.

Fish are people too!!!

You could always go with a Coralife if your low on funds! I will be honest, it's not the best by any means, but mine does a fairly efficient job.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I disagree. Do not buy twice. Purchase the best component you can. I would just do water changes until you can afford a quality skimmer.

That surface scum can easily be removed with a surface skimmer. They attach onto a hand on the back filter if you're running one.

I used the paper towel method to get rid of the scum on the water and I have been doing frequent water changes.

I have no filter or anything. I have live rock and 2 power heads. I do have the power heads slightly agitating water but other than that is all water changes.

When I get a skimmer should copepods inhabit it on its I own or should I take a pipet and pull some from the display and place them in the skimmer?

To be sort of like a mini refugium.

Still after the sludge my skimmer pulls I wouldn't dare.

Fish are people too!!!

Live rock had little pores that micro bacteria live in detritus gets caught in these holes and the bacteria eat it but when all the holes are full and the bacteria can't keep up there is a short time where the skimmer is needed to help the live rock that's really the only need for a skimmer

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom