Quick Question- Cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well the brown is more than likely a diatom bloom which is normal in new tanks. Even though my tank was established, when I transferred everything to my new home, I still got a diatom bloom.

I posted a picture on the previous page. So just get a master kit test it. If my nitrates are 10 or below I should be cycled and ready to go or still watch it for a week or two? But they could also be at 0 if I have enough bacteria on the rock correct?

In my opinion you should be reading some nitrates. The algae can be consuming some of the excess nutrients but I would say they shouldnt be using them all.

How long has the tank been running?

If you're reading nitrates at all then yes, I'd say the cycle is complete, seeing how nitrates are the end part of the cycle. But if you're not reading anything at all, I'd keep an eye on it. Maybe you have enough algae that it's eating all the nitrates, or your cycle isn't done. If you see any ammonia or nitrites I'd be concerned for the well being of the fish. If it were a fishless cycle I'd advise you to not do a water change and let the cycle finish it's course. Since it's a fish in cycle, if you read ammonia or nitrites, I'd suggest a partial water change to lower ammonia or nitrites, thus lowering the toxicity of the tank, giving your fish a fighting chance.

carey said:
In my opinion you should be reading some nitrates. The algae can be consuming some of the excess nutrients but I would say they shouldnt be using them all.

How long has the tank been running?

10 days.. I think

Well it has had fish and live rock for 10 days. But I have had it running for 12 mixed the water got it to temperature two days prior to putting anything in.

I'd say you probably have enough beneficial bacteria to handle the 2 fish but I would keep on the testing and see what happens. If you add anything else you might just throw the bio filter outta whack and then you could see a spike.

Well I was planning on returning the damsel back to the lfs and going with two clowns, a wrasse, two cleaner shrimp, and a brittle star will this be do-able in a 20 gallon? I plan to stock slow of course and watch levels.

Sure is I could not justify spending 15$ for it to die on the floor lol. One other thing does anyone have any experince with odyssea t5 lights?

Awesome! appreciate the help. Will post back with readings from tests. Merry christmas

Ok tested how do these results look? the nitrate looks darker in the picture it is actually a bright yellow

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Back
Top Bottom