qusetion about cycling and bristleworms

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

reneeanneb

Aquarium Advice Regular
i got my 55 gallong set up.. ordered base rock for it.my question is while at the pet store yesterday i was looking at his tanks.and he is loaded with bristle worms.i didnt see an inch of his gravel that didnt have a worm in it.my rock will be there this morning but i wont be picking it up until later this evening,and i know he is going to put it in that tank.my tank will be fowlr.will they hinder the cycling process if they hop on the rock?or just die off in my tank? i just filled it last nite.used cc and live sand.all i have running is the filter as of right now,i dont plan on adding any fish for a while. btw,how much lr do i have to have? all i intended to have is a few good sized peices because i wanted this tank to mainly be fish only.the pet store said i needed at least 50 lbs,i was thinking more like 15-20 just enough for my fish to have somewhere to hide?and should i call them and tell them not to put the rock in his tank? or should i just rinse it with hot water whan i get it? (that is usually what i do if it is in his tank anyway)
thanks

Well, chances are you gonna get a few bristleworms, even if he doesn't put it in his tank. Bristleworms are nice critters to have though. They will help keep your tank clean. If you get to many, there are ways of taking care of them but, I wouldn't worry just yet. The population with flourish or fail depending on their food source.
As for the lr amount, I think 50 would be a good start. You'd be amazed at how little 50lbs is.

Back
Top Bottom