r/o water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rob_mango

Aquarium Advice Addict
is r/o water good enough for a reef or should I get ro/di
I have a ro system can I add di to that or will I need a
whole new system

R/O is better than tap by far, but Ro/Di is ideal for reef. You can always add on a DI I believe. Depends on the model. I'm not sure if they make Di attachments for all of them.

RO vs RO/DI - it really depends on how bad your water was to start with and how good your RO membrane is. RO membranes will take out anywhere between 95 and 99% of the impurities. Normally DI resin will strip the rest of it away so that you have truly pure water. Personally... I'd go with the DI since you're going to the trouble of doing RO water to start with - why settle for "almost" pure water. It might be worth investing in a cheap TDS meter to measure the TDS (total dissolved solids) of your RO output water. If it's truly pure, it should read zero. If it doesn't, then you'll have to make the decision of how much it's worth to you to get that last bit out.

You can add a DI stage as a separate add on, inline with the output of your RO system. Fairly inexpensive and no need to change anything with your existing RO system. Check out thefilterguys.biz - you can get stuff cheaper, but these guys are top notch.

Back
Top Bottom