Raising pH?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

05spooln

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hello all!
All other parameters are perfect except my pH. It's sitting at 7.8 and not budging. How should I go about changing this or should I leave it be since it's stable? Thanks

Stable is good, what time of day do you test? Ph can change throughout the day depending on lights on or off. Also, an open top will increase ph...

That sounds like you may be using baking soda to add Alkalanity to your water. Baking soda has a natural pH of about 7.8. It's great for raising pH in a freshwater system, but will lower pH from the preferred 8.2-8.4.

It's a BC 29 with glass top. Testing has occurred night and mornings. Have nothing to measure dkH. I have added the Kent A and B buffer to try and help. Trying to be patient.... No baking soda has been added

If you're using kent, you're more likely to have a good pH and just your test is off. pH indications in colour tests starts to immediately drop from the actual number. I wouldn't sweat the low result. I would refrain from dosing tho unless you test for Alk and calc.

Ok thanks! I'll just hold off and let the tank do it's thing until I get a alk test. The only issue with low pH would be for corals and not fish too much right? As long as it's stable?

Back
Top Bottom