raising S.G.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lilismom1

Aquarium Advice Activist
thanx for all the snail advice, now i have another question for you. when i started my tank i set my sg at 1.022. this was because i read that the lower the sg the more the parasites hate it. now, however, i would like to add corals and they like it higher. i want it around 1.024 right? anyway, i have a cuke and some starfish that i don't want hurt so what's the easiest way? i buy my make-up water from lfs and it comes at 1.025. i was planning on changing out 5 gallons every couple of days until i reach my goal. does this sound good? or should i just top-off with it until it goes up?(obviously taking much longer)

lil do you have a sump on your tank? Your plan is good but your going to be spending alot of $$ just to raise your salinity and time. Even though you are going to wanna take the time in raising the salinity for the fish and all to adjust. If you have a sump i just recommend adding a little salt to raise it slowly. If you have good water movement, PH for example in your main tank add some mixed salt and water little high on the salt content and add it slowly. HTH

lilismom1 said:
or should i just top-off with it until it goes up?(obviously taking much longer)
It may take longer but it is also much safer. With two very sensitive animals in the tank, adding a cup or so each day of the premade LFS water instead of (or as well) regular RO for evap will help prevent salinity shock and still allow you to save some money if not time. It will definately ensure the animals safety

Cheers
Steve

o.k that's what i'll do. the water is only .50 a gallon so i prefer it to making my own. i'll just have to wait awhile longer to add the corals. it's a good thing i'm a patient person, i see where people can get into alot of trouble and kill alot of livestock with this hobby. thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom