“Re starting” my tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

savannafish

Aquarium Advice Activist
A couple weeks ago my friend gave me 40 gal tank because she didn’t want it and I’ve recently decided, once I have the time, I will just upgrade my tank with it. I currently have a 20 gal ref tank with 2 nano clowns and a dwarf angel In it. During April vacation I would love to transfer that all into the 40 gal. However, I am not sure if I should just restart the whole thing, new cycle and all or am I able to put everything in the 20 gal with new live rock into the 40. I’ve never done an upgrade and I’m still kinda new at this (only been doing sat water for abt 2 years now) and I really don’t want to screw my tank up because it’s been doing soooo well lately. Ideally I would literally just put everything in my 20 into the 40 with 20lbs more of live rock, no sand (just use from 20 because I have a lot in it) and add new water, keep same filter because it’s compatible up to 60 gal, probs new/higher gph pump. I went to my local fish store today and talked to one of the ladies there and just gave me the best half answered comment ever so I’m wondering if you guys think it would be possible lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would just move everything over. It will have the beneficial bacteria already in the rock and sand. I usually recommend new sand, but your system hasn't been running very long if I remember correctly.
You answered the rest of your questions.

I would just move everything over. It will have the beneficial bacteria already in the rock and sand. I usually recommend new sand, but your system hasn't been running very long if I remember correctly.
You answered the rest of your questions.

It’s been running for just over a year. So just move everything over and add new water and new rock?

As long as you bring over the old rock as well, yes. Just make sure to use new ro/di water. If it's been going for a year, you might also want to use new sand so none of the old gunk is brought over. Rinsing it all out is almost impossible IMO.

As long as you bring over the old rock as well, yes. Just make sure to use new ro/di water. If it's been going for a year, you might also want to use new sand so none of the old gunk is brought over. Rinsing it all out is almost impossible IMO.

Ok thank you!! I’ll probs just put a new bag of sand with the new 20 lbs of live rock and keep the bold live rock and the 20 gallons of water that’s already in the tank.

Back
Top Bottom