Reactors?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

h8z2luze

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am just getting into the reef world. I have a basic understanding of how my reef works. But there is alot I still dont know. For one thats been bugging me I see people using reactors and uv sterilizers and such. If someone doesnt mind explaining what these do that would be great. Or a link to somewhere that does?

(y)

Uv sterilizers kill free floating bacteria, algae, and parasites. Not everyone uses them but some folks swear by them.

Reactors run different media. You can run carbon or gfo in a reactor. Check out Bulk Reef Supply for a list if reactors. They have videos on them and what they do. I haven't jumped into reactors yet myself but they look to be my next purchase. You can run media in a canister in occasion or with something like ClearFX Pro without a reactor.

I've had good luck with ClearFx Pro.

Oscarfan nailed it. Reactors are just a more efficient means to run a media for the most part. I just hooked my first reactor up 2 weeks ago I think and I'm glad I finally did lol. I've always ran a sterilizer on my tank since day one but I know a lot of people never use them and don't have a problem so its not a must but a good precationary measure to take imo.

So it's just another form of filtration? Its not like a buffer or water polisher??

Depends on the media. It could be either. You can use bio pellets for added bio filtration or gfo to reduce phosphates or carbon to help polish the water. You can also run calcium to help keep your calcium at sustainable levels in a heavily populated reef. There are a bunch of options.

Back
Top Bottom