Ready for fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks for the comments everyone. Yes, there are zero nitrites...or close to that. I had higher levels last Saturday, but returned the damsels that had cycled my tank. I picked up 15 more lbs of live rock, which the lfs said may start another mini cycle, so to wait a week before fish. I fed the empty tank twice while waiting. The owner of the store said that based on the level of activity with invertebrates...brittle stars, bristle worms, snails and lots of Kenya tree corals that came in on the live rock....my water is good. The gramma has been hiding since I put it into the tank, but the chromis are having a blast exploring!

Here are some pics of the new crew...minus the fire shrimp...he likes the backsides of the rocks!

Attachments

• image-1791180611.jpg
    image-1791180611.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 81
  • image-1800684499.jpg
    image-1800684499.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 72
  • image-1375319877.jpg
    image-1375319877.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 77
  • image-3403531972.jpg
    image-3403531972.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 78
So, today I tested my water...48 hours after adding fish. Ph is down to 7.8, ammonia is 0.25, nitrates falling in between zero and the lowest reading, nitrites 0.25. The lfs said not to do a pwc for 2 weeks to allow for a mini cycle, but threads I read here say the opposite. The fish look great and are eating well. Please advise. Thanks, Julie.

Lfs tested nitrites for me, said OK. I am stopping in tomrrow for more testing supplies and another powerhead. I have been reading about qt tanks, but don't have one yet. My plan is to add my first two fish, then when I do my first water change, swipe a piece of lr and use that water to start qt tank, if that's absolutely necessary. I can understand the need when you have a very large display tank, but not so sure for a pair of clowns and some chromis.

The size of tank won't make a difference if your recent fish have a disease and or parasites. Ultimately the decision is yours but just giving you some advice from experience. You should also have your own tests and use the LFS tests maybe just to confirm if your own seem really out of wack.

If you have ammonia and nitrites you need to do a pwc for the sake of the fish. Not sure why the lfs would say to leave it alone. The ammonia is only going to build until your bacteria kick in.

I wouldnt worry too too much about the ph right this second.

Angiorn, how many fish did you ad at the same time? You should be adding fish one or maybe a pair at a time to let the tank adjust to the extra bioload. I would do a pwc very soon. The LFS I think is looking after his own interests.

Steve

My lfs happens to be Earl May. I'm actually very pleased with them. They told me all about cycling, even though I already knew about it. They also gave me Acclimation advice when I got my fish from them. I'm very pleased with them, but sadly, this type of lfs is rare.

Courtesy of Dakota's iPod.

Back
Top Bottom