Ready to take the plunge!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NatureFish

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm really really wanting to start a ten gallon nano reef with a pair of clownfish. I know there are different types of clownfish so hopefully someone can point me in the right direction to the hardiest one. I've done quite a bit of research on this and I think I can handle it. However I would have to convert the freshwater tank I already have into it. My LFS said I could put marine salt in it and then the pre existing BB would die, feeding the new BB. I just need to purchase my live rock and then I can start cycling...but wait what about the filter and power head?! So there's where I run into a problem. My mom doesn't want a filter because its "too loud" at night and this tank will be in my room. I know there are "silent" filters but could I try to make it completely silent and just do a power head instead of the filter? Someone on this forum told me once my tank is fully established there will be so much BB in the live rock and sand that I won't need a filter. I'm only planning on have that pair of clownfish and a few anemones, Zoanthids and maybe some blue legged Hermits so I'm assuming there won't be a large bioload. A single power head should be enough to supply sufficient oxygen correct? Thanks for the help in advance! Oh and P.S I realize the smaller the tank the harder it will be to maintain but I'm up for the challenge!

NatureFish
????

:) hopefully I don't need a filter for this! Oh and I forgot to include that I would like to eventually have the pair spawn! If this happened I'd probably sell all but one or two. Would the three or four be able to live together?

NatureFish
????

Well in a 10 gallon tank you won't be able to have anemones or two clowns unfortunately, you might want to go on Live Aquaria and check up on the nano fish that you can have.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Your not gonna have a successful breeding pair of clowns in a 10. And raising the fry is expensive and time consuming. You'd need a separate tank to raise them.

Well in a 10 gallon tank you won't be able to have anemones or two clowns unfortunately, you might want to go on Live Aquaria and check up on the nano fish that you can have.

Really?! My LFS and practically all the other sites I've seen said it would be ok... That's disappointing but of course I want what's best for my future fish!

NatureFish
????

Your not gonna have a successful breeding pair of clowns in a 10. And raising the fry is expensive and time consuming. You'd need a separate tank to raise them.

What about just the pair them selves? And can the tank be filterless once it's established?

NatureFish
????

I wouldn't do a pair in a 10. I had 2 in a ten for like 4 months before I upgraded them. They really do need more room.

I wouldn't do a pair in a 10. I had 2 in a ten for like 4 months before I upgraded them. They really do need more room.

I get attached, are there any long living fish I can have in there? Like around ten years on average?

NatureFish
????

Your LFS will tell you anything to make a sale. I had the same problem. If you do your research and look at other threads on this forum it will help a lot!

Your LFS will tell you anything to make a sale. I had the same problem. If you do your research and look at other threads on this forum it will help a lot!

I have and it looks like I can do a filterless after all!

NatureFish
????

Hey as long as you have your research squared away that's great! Just look over your stocking options and make sure that it will be beneficial to the fish that are in there and we are all here to help!

Hey as long as you have your research squared away that's great! Just look over your stocking options and make sure that it will be beneficial to the fish that are in there and we are all here to help!

Thank you so much! I love this forum I'm on it everyday! The people are all so friendly!

NatureFish
????

Just about the only thing I can have that fits in a ten at my LFS are yellow tail damsels and supposedly clownfish but I guess not. They said the clownfish stay in there anemone all the time, but I know that's not true. So could I have a single clownfish and maybe the yellow tails? I heard that damsels are extremely aggressive.

NatureFish
????

Check this out and see what you like there. These are nano aquarium fish

Just about the only thing I can have that fits in a ten at my LFS are yellow tail damsels and supposedly clownfish but I guess not. They said the clownfish stay in there anemone all the time, but I know that's not true. So could I have a single clownfish and maybe the yellow tails? I heard that damsels are extremely aggressive.

NatureFish
????

They will but a nem shouldn't be added to a tank for 8-12 months to let it mature. Nems also need powerful lights and stable water chemistry and they get to big for a 10 gallon tank. Gobies and/or small blennies would work a lot better than any damsel (yes, clowns are damsels)

I like the neons do you have any experience with them? Or the yellow stripe clingfish?

NatureFish
????

I might just do blue legs and try to focus more on the corals.

NatureFish
????

That would be cool, small gobies and a bunch of inverts work with some crazy cool corals will definitely make a tank!

Back
Top Bottom