Recommendations for Nano Setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

percula

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello all,

So I'm planning on setting up a very small tank. It will contain (or I'm planning on it containing) 2 True Perc Clownfish, a bit of LR, a couple inverts, and maybe a Xenia.

Are there any pre-made "kits" that you think would work well, or am I just better off buying a 29 gallon and building a setup from scratch?

Thanks in advance!

Percula, Half the fun of this hobby is starting from scratch. Im relatively new at this as well and the best part of it all was learning things step by step and doing it myself. Not a "kit"

Im sure theres something out there but most likely over priced and not exactly what you need. Im sure the mod gods will chime in more after with exacts but read up around here and start it yourself.

It gets expensive and takes time so be patient, thats key.

WELCOME TO AA!!!

Please do not cycle your tank with live animals.

Personally, those "kits" aren't that great. I belive it is best to start from scratch. The kits sometimes have onder par equipment (in SW, it is best not to skimp on certain pieces of equipment). Doing it yourself is a better way, plus you get to shop around and will find all kinds of neat stuff.

Be carefull if you do get a "KIT" a lot of them are proprietary, if anything goes you have to get it from the manufacture. Not good if you need a fix NOW and have to wait 3 to 6 weeks for delivery of the part.

roka64 - Please do not cycle your tank with live animals.

Roka64 is refering to useing a Raw unseasoned shrip to cycle your tank vs tossing in a fish and haveing it die. Not sure where to find the link off hand.
Sorry Roka im tossing you under the bus. I'm sure roka64 just forgot to post the link :)

You're probably better off just buying a 29 gallon (or minimum of 20 gallon) for 2 perculas. Some people keep them in smaller tanks, but they are really active swimmers IMO and would appreciate the extra room. You could probably even keep another small fish in there, like a firefish or small goby. Plus, a lot of the nano "kits" are square in shape, and fish really prefer the horizontal swimming space of a rectangular tank.

I used to have a 125reef before I had to move. ;)
I cycle with the raw shrimp, I did a DSB w/ skimmer+rock.

For a tank this size (approx 29gal) do you recommend HOB filters? I know they can become detritus traps, or will DSB/rock+HOB skimmer work for the 29?
I'm planning a light bioload (2 percs, and you know severum, a neon blue goby would be excellent) and maybe a Xenia. Do I need skimming with such a light setup, or could I get away with a very well/frequently-cleaned HOB filter?

Thanks again! :)

I only used a HOB filter on my 29 to run GAC in. Good water flow and 1.5-2 lbs per gal LR is all that is absolutely necessary. The LR fills all the biological filter needs, and good water flow keeps water chemistry inline and brings nutrients and waste to and from coral. If your not going to have a skimmer, it is even more important IMO, and I highly recommend having, a place for GAC or similar media. If it has to be one or the other, I would choose a skimmer, though I prefer to use both.
Do I need skimming with such a light setup, or could I get away with a very well/frequently-cleaned HOB filter?
A skimmer is always a plus and will make a difference, but it's not absolutely necessary on all set ups. You will have to be more diligent about not over feeding and keeping up on regular PWC's, etc.
How much LR do you have and how much flow/turnover?

BTW welcome to AA.com!

I have no skimming on my 10gal reef , also only filtering is by an AC110 HOB filter modified in to a refuge with about 20lbs of liverock in tank and 3-5lbs in fuge .

I was also about to suggest putting a light over a hob filter and turning it into a refugium.

I have a ten gallon and a 20 gallon nano reef, neither with a skimmer. I just do ~25-30% pwc every week.

Xenia is a great beginner coral. I like the motion they provide to the tank. All the little "hands" waving around looks so cool. However in a good environment it can grow like a weed, which can be a good thing. I had one stalk of xenia that did not grow much for a couple months and I had a galaxea next to it that happened to sting it and it looked pretty much dead. I sold the galaxea to my neighbor and left the dead looking xenia in my tank. Needless to say, there are about 9 new stalks all bigger than that pervious stalk spreading all around the top of tank about three months later. I am putting rocks next to it to get a stalk to attach then I cut it so I can move it around. Very neat coral;however, not much color. My waving hand is pink and I have pom-poms that are white.

Mushrooms are a good choice for color.

I'm not sure what lighting I'll have on it to begin with. May get a PC hood later on, but to start out I won't need anything fancy. And yeah, I had 2 Xenia that turned into 22 in my 125. Fun little corals. :)

Any light recommendations for a Xenia? I know they don't need MH, but what's considered adequate for a Xenia? They thrived under my 2x96Actinics+250W MH, but this lil tank will be nothing close to my old monster. ;)

I really liked a 2x75 watt VHO set up over a 29. VHO has better coloring and appearance than PC IMO- I've heard other people say it too. That would allow you too keep many different types of coral. You could also look into T-5's.

Back
Top Bottom