Recommendations on a Nano Setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

percula

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey all,

I want to set up a smaller tank with some clowns, inverts, and soft corals. Probably like a 29gal, but maybe something in the 40s. I won't have room for a fuge or sump, and I'm used to the Berlin method. (I used to have a 125, DSB, MH lights, etc) So I wanna know what you recommend for filtration. It won't have a huge bioload, probably 2 clowns, maybe a neon blue goby, some shrimps, snails, and soft corals and LPS. I might go to SPS if I think I can swing the lighting for them in such a small tank.

I know water parameters are more difficult, and not being able to throw a skimmer and a DSB in there makes this uncharted territory for me. I don't want a DSB because, being a small tank, real estate is precious.

Thanks for the advice!

AGA makes a 37 gallon tank, 30x12x22 (same dimensions as a 29 gallon but taller). It's deep enough you could go with 4-5'' of sand and you would have the same amount of open space above it as a 29 gallon with 2'' of sand.

You could also get a hob skimmer but it would probably be easier just to do your weekly pwc since your not going to have a huge bioload. You could go with just powerheads or you can put a cannister filter in there with a powerhead. I like using a cannister filter so that if you need to run chemical filtration you can just open it up and put it in.

You can go MH for sps if you want and imo it's not hard to keep the water parameters were they should be, you just have to keep up with it and not neglect it. I have a 10 gallon and a 20 gallon, both nano reefs.

It seems nano tanks are all the rage right now, especially with the tank manufactures. These are several "all-in-one" tanks available in various sizes and configurations. Most are built very well and, with some modification, make great nano tanks. Severa models now come with built in MH lighting so you can keep SPS corals and clams along with the toehr soft and LPS corals. Do some research on JBJ NanoCubes, Oceanic BioCubes, Red Sea nanos and the AquaPod. You will likely find one to meet your needs.

Back
Top Bottom