Red diatoms and algea - help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishman

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey gang. I need help. Had this tank for over 3 years. I am experiencing red diatoms and green "slime" algea on my LR. Heres the needed info.
-100 gallon reef.
-30 gallon sump/fuge
-1 Aqua C remora Skimmer (and recently cleaned)
-3 fish
-lots of circulation
-VHO lightening 660 watts
-150 lbs of LR

I have been trying everything possible to get rid of the above issues. I feed every other day - rinsed frozen food and very little when feeding. I have changed 4 of my 6 VHO bulbs out in the past 1 month. My temp is until recently is around 80-82. I have since lowered it to 77-78 as I have heard higher temps are prime conditions for algea. I also have about 50-100 small naurissae snails as well as a few crabs.
I dont know what to do about the red diatoms and algea. I have been doing weekly water changes of 10-15% as well. Any suggestions?

What are your water parameters? Particularly phosphates and nitrates? The red diatoms sound like cyanobacteria. Looks like your on the right track to battling the issues. You might want to try doing some larger water changes for a while and see if that helps. Also, there is an article on cyano in our articles section that may be able to help. HTH

It does sound like your doing what you should do . Keep doing it and in time you should be OK . Do as fluff said and check nitrates and phosphates which are clear fuel elements for this stuff

What type of water are you using? tap, ro, ro/di

testing the tank water and top off water and post some numbers for us.
Phosban reactors work well for cyno and there are no snail or crabs that will eat it till its gone.

My levels are as follows.
Ammonia 0
Trates 0
Trites 0
Phos 0

Im using RODI water. Also I forgoto to mention Im currently using Phosban as well. I have heard its very effective. ALso I have 2 returns from my sump as circulation as well as 7 maxijets inside the tank as well for circulation (1200 series). Its like a freaking hurricane by the looks of my corals!!
Please post any other suggestions! It seems the more water changes I do the worse it gets. The red diatoms seem to come up in the same places each day. Its not red SLIME like regular cyno...
Also the filters on my RODI water were replaced about 4 months ago...

Back
Top Bottom