Red Sea or Instant Ocean?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CCXGT

Aquarium Advice Addict
What's the preferred salt mix for you experienced reefers?

A lot of people recommend IORC but I've read that people have residual issues with it.

I know BRS uses Red Sea Coral Pro and they seem to love it, it is also cheaper than IO.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Neither is better than the other IMO and I've used both. I've never had the residue issue with either but I've heard that before. Reef crystals is a little higher alk but Red Sea seems to mix out with a higher calcium level.

never had problems with reef crystals, IMO it doesnt really matter to much as long as its a good brand reef salt.

Well.. I went with Red Sea for now.
Purely because I prefer the look of the bucket :p

Well.. I went with Red Sea for now.
Purely because I prefer the look of the bucket :p

I just switched from reef crystals to Red Sea only because I couldn't find a big box...and I like the bucket. Lol

I've used several salts. Each has a pro that the others don't. So far, I like Kent the best of all that I've used, over IO, IO Reef Crystals, Red Sea Coral Pro...At some point I'd like to try out Oceanic, or something like that, as I've heard great things about it.

I've used several salts. Each has a pro that the others don't. So far, I like Kent the best of all that I've used, over IO, IO Reef Crystals, Red Sea Coral Pro...At some point I'd like to try out Oceanic, or something like that, as I've heard great things about it.

Fair enough, I think you get most for your money with Red Sea though.
This is all I need for now as a beginner.

I've just been reading the dosage recommendations on the Red Sea bucket.

They're saying 36g/litre (1.5lb/US gal).

Am I right in assuming that this is some sort of minimum?
Like if you dose exactly this amount it'll end up giving you a little bit of leeway?

I've just been reading the dosage recommendations on the Red Sea bucket.

They're saying 36g/litre (1.5lb/US gal).

Am I right in assuming that this is some sort of minimum?
Like if you dose exactly this amount it'll end up giving you a little bit of leeway?

alot of salts say put x into the water and the outcome will be a salinity of y.

if it doesnt, put that much in, mix it, and test it, then adjust dependent [ salinity to low --> add more salt | salinity to high --> add more rodi. ]

I've also just realised that what I thought my '5G' jugs were are actually 6.6G jugs.

25l is 5.5uk/gal and 6.6us/gal...

Hmm.. No wonder my calculations were coming up pear-shaped.

Okay so Red Sea recommends a s.g of 1.023 for soft/LPS (which I will be keeping).
But multiple other people recommend 1.025.

Is there a reason for this?

Nope. 1.025 is just the standard level at which we keep our tanks.

The higher salinity level helps keep the levels of elements in the water slightly higher.

The ocean is at 1.025-1.026. That's where I'd shoot to keep it for all marine life

Just to be specific, the ocean where we get our fish and corals from is around 1.025-1.026. Where I live it's much lower , around 31-32 ppt or 1.023.
Warmer climates=more evap=higher salinity.

Just to be specific, the ocean where we get our fish and corals from is around 1.025-1.026. Where I live it's much lower , around 31-32 ppt or 1.023.
Warmer climates=more evap=higher salinity.

So are you saying it makes no difference or it makes a lot of difference?

Anything from 1.023 -.026 is fine IMO. I run my salinity at 1.025 with rscp in my softy dominated 10 with no problems, and honestly the only reason is because most coral sellers run that salinity and it makes acclimating coral easier.

Anything from 1.023 -.026 is fine IMO. I run my salinity at 1.025 with rscp in my softy dominated 10 with no problems, and honestly the only reason is because most coral sellers run that salinity and it makes acclimating coral easier.

Ah... Never thought of that...

Is it possible to just run a lower salinity until I plan on getting coral?
And then bump it up?
Just to save salt.

Back
Top Bottom