Red Slimy Algae is taking over a corner...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jme

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am at work or i would post a picture, Red slimy algae is taking over a corner of my tank, its on the sand and on the LR above the sand. Do i need to do anything? i have checked the water parameters recently and Phospate's were low but did register (again im at work or i'd post the test result specifically in PPM ect). Do i need to increase the flow on that area of sand? I bought 10 hermit crabs last week but they dont seem to be putting a dent in any of the Red Algae.. they just mostly scurry around and eat off the LR..

Sounds like cyano. Are there bubbles forming, on/under/in it? If so, you can siphon as much out and do a PWC. What kind of stuff do you have in the canister, like sponges and media?

The affected area either has poor water flow and/or is getting ambient or stray light from the room or lamp fixtures.
You will not get an accurate reading on your phosphate test, for the cyanobacteria will utilize it as fast as it is available.

afishyonados said:
The affected area either has poor water flow and/or is getting ambient or stray light from the room or lamp fixtures.
You will not get an accurate reading on your phosphate test, for the cyanobacteria will utilize it as fast as it is available.
I definitely agree, cyano will use up the phosphates as soon as they can. I was going crazy when my tests were super low. I'll tell you from my experience, kick it quick, otherwise it will spread like seafire!

Agree, you have to get it out quick.

Recommend that you
1) Syphon out what you can get without digging in too deeply into the sand.
2) Do a PWC (2 this week if you can) with RO water.
3) Point a powerhead in that general direction to increase the flow
4) Cut back your feeding to once every other day
5) Cut your light cycle to b/w 6 - 8 hrs (until you get it licked)
6) look at your setup and see if you have any possible source of nitrates or phosphates, like sponge media in filters, bio-balls, HOB filters that can accumulate the waste and uneaten food. ( I would get rid of all the external media and replace with LR rubble).
7) Check your water source to see if that is putting extra NO3 or phosphates into your tank. Remember, even if you treat tap water with Prime, those "inactivated" chloramines will eventually turn into NO3's.

Thanks for the advice.... So far ive checked everything out and discovered that while i was setting up the QT tank under the larger tank i inadvertantly unplugged the canister filter that i have set up as a refugium. Ive plugged it back in and added another powerhead (the one i use to mix water with) i tried syphoning out some of the slime but mostly i just got sand as its lighter. I have shortened the Photo-period to 6 hours and i will check it again in a couple of days to see if there is any progress. The red algae on the live rock.. should i take it out and gently scrub it off with old salt water from the tank?

Jme said:
The red algae on the live rock.. should i take it out and gently scrub it off with old salt water from the tank?
Sure, if the LR is easy to remove.

melosu58 said:
Now that`s a good list Finatic. Good thinking

LOL you know there is only one way someone can put that list together and remember it.

That was a long 3 weeks. Made my LFS happy with all the water I was buying for PWC's.

Back on topic.

Moral of the story, if you stick to this systematic approach, you can find the source and kill it. It sucks right now, but it will get better.

Test your refill water, how does it look?

I have been using a filtering system that came with the used set up i bought for the live rock and other things. I tested the water that comes out and it was 0 for phospate, i didnt test nitrates but as the tank was about 12.5ppm it didnt seem to be a source of high nitrates. I did go on a hunt and destroy mission the other day for Aptasia, with boiling water and a syringe... Perhaps all that dead Aptasia has caused a spike in waste matter. I am off work for the next 3 days (after today) so i'll start doing the water changes tomorrow as i need to mix up some seawater.

Jme said:
I am off work for the next 3 days (after today) so i'll start doing the water changes tomorrow as i need to mix up some seawater.

So much for R&R on those 3 days off, LOL.

If you do more than one PWC this week, I would wait at least a day between each, so you don't stress your livestock out too much.

GoodLuck.

Back
Top Bottom