RedSea Chiller 1/4Hp repair?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fairclothg

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Well the redsea chiller just fried on me. It was working non stop and had the tank to 63 deg from 76 deg.. i unpledged it and repluged it in after about 5 sec and it fried. anyone have thoughts on how to repair as this unit was not cheap.

why were you trying to make the tank so cold, 63 degrees .. brrr

probably a fuse or a thermal shutdown tripped to protect the motor / compressor ... what does the manual say?

have you tried waiting a few hours and plugging it back in?

I don't think he intended the tank to get that cold. I think that was one of the "symptoms" of the problem.

when you say "fried" what happened when you plugged it back in?

if the unit is not too old, it may still be under warrenty, check your receipts (hope you kept em! :) )

ooh .. my mistake

that would make more sense, like a problem with the thermostat or controller.

look around the unit for a button that says "Press to reset", or it might be a hole labled reset that you stick a small pin in. My guess is your motor overheated and tripped a safety cut off.

as for why it was running non stop, that I can't address without more details on your setup.

I normally keep it around 77 what tipped me off was the digital display of 63 and I did a double take and checked the thermometer in the tank and it was 65. So I verified the chiller was set for 75 and it was so I unplugged it then after about 10 sec plugged it back in thinking this would reset it. It flashed fire and had a sizzle sound with smoke. I unplugged it ASAP. I had the unit now for about 4 years with on and off use. I just had it apart to blow the dust off and very thing seem to be working ok it was cycling on and off. I could have been a controller problem and then the motor overheated and drew too much current after I plugged it back in. RedSea do not even list a chiller on it website so…I’ve e-mail them today, no part support in the paper copy of the manual… it did not come with one..?!? I had to contact Redsea to get one.. :evil:

well, if you saw flame and smoke, then it's most likely shot :(

I doubt it was the motor or compressor ... that technology is so mature they almost never fail - my guess is it's something in the controller system

bummer dude! :cry:

Back
Top Bottom