redsea's 125g Reef Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have a derasa mainly because it's the lowest light needing of the bunch but I'd love a maxima, to me it looks amazing.

I have mine 24" under (on sandbed) a 4-bulb aquatic life T5 - seems good to me!

Update and questions:

Today I put in the rock from LA (45 lbs), and I really like the quick rockscape I made. :) I will post pictures later. I also added the water from the garbage bin my LR was in. Is it normal for this water (from the garbage bin) to be yellowish? Also, I was wondering how you all would recommend cycling and what I would need for it.

Hopefully tomorrow I will have all of the equipment running and I will add some LR from my 55g.

I was also looking at some corals on LA, and I found some I really like, I will get around to posting those eventually, lol.

I also wanted to know how often I should do PWCs. I have had the LR in the garbage bin since Thurs, and didn't change the water. Should I be changing the water in the 125g soon?
Thanks for reading! :-D

Ok I got in pretty late so I gotta go to page one to read. I'm following too :) or should I say I'm catching up. :)

redsea said:
Update and questions:

Today I put in the rock from LA (45 lbs), and I really like the quick rockscape I made. :) I will post pictures later. I also added the water from the garbage bin my LR was in. Is it normal for this water (from the garbage bin) to be yellowish? Also, I was wondering how you all would recommend cycling and what I would need for it.

Hopefully tomorrow I will have all of the equipment running and I will add some LR from my 55g.

I was also looking at some corals on LA, and I found some I really like, I will get around to posting those eventually, lol.

I also wanted to know how often I should do PWCs. I have had the LR in the garbage bin since Thurs, and didn't change the water. Should I be changing the water in the 125g soon?
Thanks for reading! :-D

I wouldn't do a water change until the cycle is complete. The water is a slight yellow probably because their was some die off in shipping times. As far as cycling- its preference. Some people use a dead table shrimp while others use pure ammonia from the hardware store. Either way- when you can see that all the ammonia dissipates into nitrates in a 24 hour period the cycle is complete. But just to be sure- get the ammonia back up to 4.0 and make sure it can do it again. During cycle- leave your lights off- make sure your water is running with powerheads and cycled thru your sump. I'd recommend testing your water a few days after you introduce your ammonia source to keep tabs on it. Don't do a water change until your cycle is complete though or you will just prolong the process. That's why it's so important to not put fish in a cycling tank (that and it's torture to the fish).

Jlsardina said:
I wouldn't do a water change until the cycle is complete. The water is a slight yellow probably because their was some die off in shipping times. As far as cycling- its preference. Some people use a dead table shrimp while others use pure ammonia from the hardware store. Either way- when you can see that all the ammonia dissipates into nitrates in a 24 hour period the cycle is complete. But just to be sure- get the ammonia back up to 4.0 and make sure it can do it again. During cycle- leave your lights off- make sure your water is running with powerheads and cycled thru your sump. I'd recommend testing your water a few days after you introduce your ammonia source to keep tabs on it. Don't do a water change until your cycle is complete though or you will just prolong the process. That's why it's so important to not put fish in a cycling tank (that and it's torture to the fish).

Thanks for the pointers!

Thanks for letting me know. :)

Attachments

• image-1094012205.jpg
    image-1094012205.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 93
  • image-892033292.jpg
    image-892033292.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 97

Is there anything I should be wary of when purchasing ammonia? Is there a kind with chemicals that I am not supposed to use? Thanks.

Also in other news; I got some more sand today. :) I hope to setup the sump, and hopefully add some ammonia tomorrow.

Thank you everyone for following! I really appreciate it a lot! :-D

pure ammonia from ace hardware seems to be the best deal and most common that i read about on here.

glad your coming along.

pure ammonia from ace hardware seems to be the best deal and most common that i read about on here.

glad your coming along.

Great, thanks for the advice. I am glad I am getting there too! I hope to have some fish swimming in here sometime in February. :)

Back
Top Bottom