redsea's 125g Reef Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So here is kind of an update:

Tonight I began to fill the sump. I will finish that work and hopefully get out to get some pure ammonia to begin my cycle tomorrow! :)

Any rough estimates of how long the cycle will take with my LR that is in there already?

Thanks everyone!

I'm not sure on the cycle time but I just wanted to say I love photos and I try to post them in all my updates even if they are boring :D I would love to see it coming along too ;)

Depending on the rock it could be a few days to maybe 3 weeks tops, at least thats what i think.

When I first cycled my tank last year I had alot of live rock adn dosed ammonia to over 8ppm!! (by accident of course) and within a week the ammonia was gone, had nitrites, lost nitrites then the nitrates built up. I may have been lucky but I would think you should have similar results if the rock came from an established tank like mine did.

How much base/live rock did you go with?

And I agree, some more pictures would be awesome, especially of the sump setup you have so far. :-D

Depending on the rock it could be a few days to maybe 3 weeks tops, at least thats what i think.

When I first cycled my tank last year I had alot of live rock adn dosed ammonia to over 8ppm!! (by accident of course) and within a week the ammonia was gone, had nitrites, lost nitrites then the nitrates built up. I may have been lucky but I would think you should have similar results if the rock came from an established tank like mine did.

How much base/live rock did you go with?

And I agree, some more pictures would be awesome, especially of the sump setup you have so far. :-D

Right now I only have 45 lbs of LR in there. :( I do, however, plan to add most of my rock from my 55g to the sump, and maybe put some in the DT. (The thing is the LR in the 55g looks bad, lol).

From there, the rest of the rock should be base, and I will slowly add on as the tank is running.

Thank you everyone!!

Here are some photos of the sump. :)

Attachments

• image-1609413990.jpg
    image-1609413990.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 103
  • image-1525661418.jpg
    image-1525661418.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 76
I like to put my ugly rock on the bottom and in the back. :) Before long it will all be purple and look the same. Between the live rock from your other tank and the new stuff I bet you have a real quick cycle. Make sure you test daily so you don't miss any spikes. I tested for over a week in my 90g and never saw any spike even after I added all the fish that I did.

I like to put my ugly rock on the bottom and in the back. :) Before long it will all be purple and look the same. Between the live rock from your other tank and the new stuff I bet you have a real quick cycle. Make sure you test daily so you don't miss any spikes. I tested for over a week in my 90g and never saw any spike even after I added all the fish that I did.

Sounds good. :thanks:

Your sump is behind your tank? Didn't it fit underneath?

Haha, yes it is. My tank stand is pretty low, and we did some tests to see how easy it would be to remove things/ fix things etc., and it would have been very difficult. Therefore, I just put the sump behind the tank, :lol:.

Haha, yes it is. My tank stand is pretty low, and we did some tests to see how easy it would be to remove things/ fix things etc., and it would have been very difficult. Therefore, I just put the sump behind the tank, :lol:.
Whatever works,,good luck(y)

ahh i see. lol Well now you have lots of storage area at least. :-D

Yep definitely! It will leave lots of room for my future automatic top off:hide:, lol. That is definitely months away, but I think it is a good investment. :)

Whatever works,,good luck(y)

Thanks! The last thing I wanted was to have to take everything apart if something broke or anything like that, so that is why I put it in the back. I also think it will be a little easier to work on back there (as far as adding things to my refugium etc.).

Back
Top Bottom